recently closed box

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Jim watts
Blackwood

recently closed box

Post by Jim watts » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:03 pm

I recently closed up this guitar and it's just a few days from putting strings on. I thought I post a spectra and the bracing pattern for reference/feedback.
The bracing is modeled after Jeff Elliott's work. I've built quite a few of these and they seem to work well.
Any thoughts on the spectra are appreciated.
I used Trevor's book as guide on this one and the top came in where I was hoping. I wish the back was little stronger, but I'm afraid to mess with it as I think I'd lower it some. I believe it's at 215 but that may be something else.
IMG_1347 Large e-mail view.jpg
JMV II taps on bridge-guitar finished neck on.jpg
Jim

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: recently closed box

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:18 pm

Jim due you have a plot for the back (ie tapped and mic'ed on back)?
Martin

Jim watts
Blackwood

Post by Jim watts » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:04 pm

Martin, Here's it is. Tapped on the back with the sound hole blocked.
back taps on finished guitar.jpg

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:54 pm

It looks like you've got a live back guitar, Jim.

Ideally, I'd be wanting more separation between the T(1,1)2 and the T(1,1)3, because in my experience that gives greater clarity and separation. But if you like the sound (and having built a few, you should know!) why mess with it?

If you do want to mess with it, I'd approach it by reducing the T(1,1)2 frequency because that's fairly high and you have a goodly amount of bracing in there. If you can get it down to 180Hz (by taking out stiffness) you'd hear a big difference. Whether you'd prefer the sound it is another matter, but you'd get a firmer lower end and greater responsiveness.

Jim watts
Blackwood

Post by Jim watts » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:37 am

Thanks for the reply Trevor. I think I'll get strings on it in the next couple of days and see how it sounds.