Ervin Smoygi Books

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Deems Davis
Sassafras

Ervin Smoygi Books

Post by Deems Davis » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:50 pm

As a new builder I'm trying to digest as much fact based information as I can regarding guitar building. That's what I REALLY appreciate about Trevor and Gerard's book. I've found that in the world of guitar building there is a never ending stream of opinion that is freely offered, but the vast majority is described in abstract/qualitative terms rather than quantitative / measurable terms. Ervin Smoygi has a 2 volume book set regarding guitar design and building. He has developed a reputation for building high quality instruments, so he must be doing something different or unique. I'm interested in any feedback from anyone that has actually read them, and particularly:

1. Does his approach to guitar building align with Trevor's Gerard's?
2. If it's different how would you describe the primary differences?
3. Is the information provided in the books supported with measurable facts, or is it qualitative?

Thanks for any feedback opinion you might have. If this is not the right forum for asking the question please suggest where I should post this

Deems

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Ervin Smoygi Books

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:18 pm

I bought Ervin's books but since Trevor and Gerard released their books Ervin's books have sat on the shelf gathering dust. To be frank most of the theory that Ervin covers is much better covered by G and G. If I had to choose either books.....Gore and GIlet would win hands down.
Martin

aljosha
Kauri

Post by aljosha » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:53 am

it depends on how you build

erwin's more "romanitc" vs the more "scientific" approach of G+G

he builds using his ears rather than microphones+computers+whatnot
so one could say a bit abstract
I personally build his way

best
j

Deems Davis
Sassafras

Post by Deems Davis » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:41 am

That's the sense I get from reading articles he's written and browsing his blog. He definitely seems to exhibit a strong artistic flavor to what he does. I suspect that may be his single largest contributing success factor.

Deems

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:27 pm

I have never read Ervin's books but from other stuff he has published I get the feeling that if you are a beginner and you want to build like Ervin does but you can't get a apprenticeship with Ervin then buy the G & G books and develop your ear from those methods then when you have it right in your head continue on using your ear. If you are a seasoned builder and can consistently build responsive guitars (if that is what you want) then you don't need no "Stinkin" (quote Hesh cause I miss him on the forum) books.
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:06 pm

Ervin actually has his own sub-forum on the ANZLF.....dedicated to his books. it would be great if Ervin would magically chime in on a discussion about HIS books :shock:
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:07 pm

aljosha wrote: erwin's more "romanitc" vs the more "scientific" approach of G+G
j
Nicely put..
Martin

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:09 am

I have both sets of books. While I enjoyed reading both, I use Gore\Gilet during nearly every project. The first volume in both sets covers design. The Gore\Gilet books contains a comprehensive and usable text on all of the design parameters for acoustic guitars. My take is the Ervin Smoygi is more of what is described as an intuitive Luthier (he uses his senses). The book does a great job describing how he thinks a guitar works and how he approaches guitar design. I am not sure that without acquiring his intuitive sense of what a guitar should be that his book provides the required information to use his system.

The Gore\Gilet build book seem to be a very carefully laid out and tested description of the tools, jig and processes required to build multiple types of both classical and steel string guitars including good full scale plans for the guitars it the text. I have an extensive library of guitar books and no build book compares to the Gore\Gilet in both completeness and clarity. I liked reading the Smoygi build book, if I remember correctly the book does a good job describing building a basic guitar, but for the more advanced work I sort of felt that magic happened.

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:34 am

I also have both sets. And am glad I have them.

I mainly build classical so my "go to" book for quick reference is neither of these but rather Courtnall (Making master guitars). I like both sets. For my purposes I got / am getting stuff from both. My main regret with Courtnall, G&G and Erwin is that I did not buy immediately when I first thought about them. I would have saved money on tools if nothing else.

My suggestions would be hold onto to your cash for another 3-4 builds then get these as well. There is a different perspective. While all these books tend to give us sticker shock at first sight, both Erwin's and G&G's books are quite cheap in the bigger picture. Check out what a more advanced college text book in medicine, law or the like can cost if you think I am wrong.

Erwin talks a bit about workshop organisation and there are pictures/descriptions of his sanding table set up which is very neat. At the very minimum you get some insight into what goes into guitars that sell for 25k direct from the maker. That has to be worth something.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:35 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Ervin actually has his own sub-forum on the ANZLF.....dedicated to his books. it would be great if Ervin would magically chime in on a discussion about HIS books :shock:
I thought that was gone so I looked and can't find it.
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:29 pm

DarwinStrings wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:Ervin actually has his own sub-forum on the ANZLF.....dedicated to his books. it would be great if Ervin would magically chime in on a discussion about HIS books :shock:
I thought that was gone so I looked and can't find it.
Next sub-forum up from this one........The Responsive Guitar FAQ: viewforum.php?f=26
Martin

68matts
Blackwood

Post by 68matts » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:21 pm

I can't see Ervin's sub forum either, when I clicked on your link it said I was not authorized to view that forum
Matt

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:20 pm

Dunno what's going one. Looks like a bug in the forum. Ill let Bob know. If a Geologist starts mucking around with the forum settings you'll end up not being able to see ANY of the forum :?
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:17 am

From what I remember Ervin didn't visit his own sub forum much and certainly didn't offer advice or answer specific questions as generously as Trevor does so maybe Bob removed the topic as it was dying a natural?
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Nah it's still there....I can see it.
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:10 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Nah it's still there....I can see it.
Maybe because you're a mod, Martin. It's been gone off my screen for, idunno, 18 months... ...more??

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:14 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:Nah it's still there....I can see it.
Maybe because you're a mod, Martin. It's been gone off my screen for, idunno, 18 months... ...more??
I'll let Bob muck around with the settings........letting a Geologist play around with the workings of the forum isnt a good idea.
Martin

JamesO
Kauri

Post by JamesO » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:33 am

I don't see the forum either.

I've had the books, but I let them go. I do miss them. I scanned a few pages, but if I had the extra money, I'd try to pick them up again. I don't remember them being earth-shattering, but I do believe Ervin is one of the best, and it would be great to have that little window into his world again. I've seen a few comments here and there on the AGF that he's working on another book. Not sure what the focus is.

In terms of being educational and, "Here, lets go make a guitar," Trevor's are on a different level.

When it comes to, "I want my guitar to have a lot of X quality in my guitar," I still haven't gotten to the point where I can glean, "Ah, I need to do this and this and this." However, as you can tell from many of my questions, I'm still in the nascent stages of understanding them.