Modal Tuning Course in Brisbane was a great success

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ArmstrongLutherie
Kauri

Modal Tuning Course in Brisbane was a great success

Post by ArmstrongLutherie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:39 am

Over the ANZAC Day long weekend just past, ten eager guitar builders gathered at the Australian Guitar Making School in Brisbane to learn everything they could about modal tuning of acoustic guitars from the man himself, Trevor Gore. Every one was engaged throughput and all went away enthusiastic about bringing their new knowledge to their guitar building. It was my pleasure to host the event at my workshop and I will certainly be running the program again. My heart felt thanks to Trevor for hauling all his gear and some very fine guitars up to Brisbane for the weekend.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Modal Tuning Course in Brisbane was a great success

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:21 pm

No worries, Andrew. Thanks for hosting and for your hospitality. It was a long drive, but well worth it.

A good time was had by all, as far as I could tell; active participation, insightful questions, intent afterwards to go out and make a difference using the knowledge imparted. Hopefully, some of the makers will comment directly and post some of the pics that were taken.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:52 pm

Trevor you were toying with doing a workshop during the Adelaide Guitar Festival this or next year? Still interested? Rod may be in Adelaide for the 2017 festival. maybe a few other members could arrange a trip to Adelaide and take in the festival as well as a Gore workshop at the same time. Food for thought.
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:05 am

Martin, I decided to give the Adelaide festival a miss this year, so won't be down there. The show's organisers need to make things a bit more luthier-friendly for it to be worth the trip. If I can encourage them to do that for 2017, I'll maybe head down then.

However, the festival is not a necessity. If you can find a critical mass of people (no fewer than 8 ) I'm happy to come down any time.

ArmstrongLutherie
Kauri

Post by ArmstrongLutherie » Mon May 02, 2016 3:55 pm

A couple of shots from the course..
TGWS2.jpg
TGWS1.jpg

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Fri May 13, 2016 1:44 pm

Yes it was a pretty great weekend. Thanks again to Trevor and Andrew.

As an aspiring builder (still on my first) it was great to move my focus out of the the woodwork project mindset and focus on the acoustic project side of things. So much information at times, but also many ideas too about what to do with my next build. Here are a couple of pic of finding the Chalandi patters link to slomo vid on my IG just for fun

http://iconosquare.com/p/12359420187909 ... B1WqX.dpuf
Attachments
IMG_8997.JPG
Trent