When will Gore/Gilet books be back in stock?

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

wadkin
Wandoo

When will Gore/Gilet books be back in stock?

Post by wadkin » Tue May 24, 2016 3:19 am

They had these books in my university library. A student took out the design book and never brought it back, I don't blame em. I was thirsty for knowledge so I got the librarian to order the books in again, I ended up basing most of my dissertation on them. Now I'm kicking myself for not buying the books before, as I can't seem to get my hands on em for want nor money.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: When will Gore/Gilet books be back in stock?

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue May 24, 2016 9:12 pm

Organising the reprint of the books turned into a nightmare job for something which should have been just a "press the button" operation. I won't bore you with the (many) details, but I have been working hard on this since Oct 2014!

Best guess at the moment is August 2016 before the new 2nd edition is available. Revisions include fixing the typos and other discrepancies that are discussed in this forum and improving the colour balance of the photos and making them slightly larger. Some explanations have been revised to reduce any possible ambiguity and there's a small amount of new material on fixing wolf tones and more detail on the source of intonation errors. In the Build volume there's a new (and very neat) design for a two-way truss rod. Otherwise the content is ~ 99% the same as before.

Tommy Emmanuel stepped aboard with an endorsement and the legendary Charles Fox (teacher of guitar building teachers) contributed the Foreword to the 2nd Edition which you can read here.

If you don't want to wait until August, I have a few "orphan" copies of the 1st edition of Design (no Build volumes to make the set). If you want one of these, please contact me via the contact page on my website and we should be able to arrange something.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed May 25, 2016 6:17 am

Trevor Gore wrote:Tommy Emmanuel stepped aboard with an endorsement and the legendary Charles Fox (teacher of guitar building teachers) contributed the Foreword to the 2nd Edition which you can read here.
Congratulations Trevor and Gerard, glowing and well earned endorsements indeed from two people who couldn't be more respected in their fields. :cl :cl :cl :cl
Trevor Gore wrote: Some explanations have been revised to reduce any possible ambiguity and there's a small amount of new material on fixing wolf tones and more detail on the source of intonation errors. In the Build volume there's a new (and very neat) design for a two-way truss rod. Otherwise the content is ~ 99% the same as before.
Is there any possibility you'll be publishing a separate addendum with this info for those of us with first editions Trevor? I'd be happy to pay for even a 'brochure' with the wolf tones and intonation information on it.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed May 25, 2016 11:42 pm

Nick wrote: Is there any possibility you'll be publishing a separate addendum with this info for those of us with first editions Trevor?
Possibly, Nick. I have an absolute heap of stuff to get through before I get to that, though. If I get to it, I'll likely put the "stand alone" material up on my website so it can be downloaded for free.

wadkin
Wandoo

Post by wadkin » Fri May 27, 2016 6:38 pm

Thanks for the low down Trevor, since I'm am planning to set up shop I think I'l eagerly wait it out until the next edition comes out.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon May 30, 2016 6:54 am

Trevor Gore wrote:
Nick wrote: Is there any possibility you'll be publishing a separate addendum with this info for those of us with first editions Trevor?
Possibly, Nick. I have an absolute heap of stuff to get through before I get to that, though. If I get to it, I'll likely put the "stand alone" material up on my website so it can be downloaded for free.
Thanks Trevor.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:44 pm

Nick wrote: Is there any possibility you'll be publishing a separate addendum with this info for those of us with first editions Trevor? I'd be happy to pay for even a 'brochure' with the wolf tones and intonation information on it.
This is probably a big ask but would it be possible to have a worked example of the mathematically derived compensation equations up on the website? At the moment Im halfway through a Godzilla spreadsheet incorporating all the various equations but checking the validity of the Excel coding of the equations etc is becoming a laborious task and right now I'd probably swap my wife for a worked example.
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:01 pm

kiwigeo wrote:...I'd probably swap my wife for a working example.
Have you spoken to your wife about this? :lol:

Check out Table 21-2 (Build). It will tell you when you've got it right! The hard bit is getting the fretboard geometry coded in a way that relates to how we normally describe set-ups. If you dummy up an action-by-fret-by-string table with some typical (sensible) numbers in, you can use that as input to the elasticity functions and then into the compensation functions. That will allow you to get a few easy reality checks before you string the whole lot together.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:49 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:...I'd probably swap my wife for a working example.
Have you spoken to your wife about this? :lol:

Check out Table 21-2 (Build). It will tell you when you've got it right! The hard bit is getting the fretboard geometry coded in a way that relates to how we normally describe set-ups. If you dummy up an action-by-fret-by-string table with some typical (sensible) numbers in, you can use that as input to the elasticity functions and then into the compensation functions. That will allow you to get a few easy reality checks before you string the whole lot together.
Thanks for the input Trevor,

At this stage the coding of the equations isn't a huge issue....manual calculations are producing same results as the Excel calculations. The action and string length change modelling tabs on my spreadsheet seem to produce reasonable values. Things seem to be going wrong with the tension change calculations and/or compensated string length (Lscn) computations. I have yet to double check Ks and mass per unit length values from the test rig computations.

I've used values from table 21-2 but it would be handy having a few other bits of data such as Ks and mass per unit length values for the string sets in order to double check a few of my calculations.

Im currently doing a full check over of the spreadsheet and when Im done Ill put up a list of questions.
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:03 pm

kiwigeo wrote:... it would be handy having a few other bits of data such as Ks and mass per unit length values ...
For a plain steel string, you can do a reality check on the Ks by using the equation at the bottom of page 4-109. For steel E= 210 GPa.

For the mass per unit length values, these can be backed out of Mersenne's Equation, or you can reality check from the density of steel (~7850kg/m3) and the volume of a meter length of a plain string of your chosen diameter. It's much harder to back out checking numbers for "nylon" strings due to the lack of published materials data, so it's worth reality checking for steel strings before moving onto "nylons".

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:08 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:... it would be handy having a few other bits of data such as Ks and mass per unit length values ...
For a plain steel string, you can do a reality check on the Ks by using the equation at the bottom of page 4-109. For steel E= 210 GPa.

For the mass per unit length values, these can be backed out of Mersenne's Equation, or you can reality check from the density of steel (~7850kg/m3) and the volume of a meter length of a plain string of your chosen diameter. It's much harder to back out checking numbers for "nylon" strings due to the lack of published materials data, so it's worth reality checking for steel strings before moving onto "nylons".
Thanks Trevor,

The first guitar I need to get compensation worked out for is a classical and I have data for 6th to 4th strings from the testing jig. The K values seem reasonable but need to check mass per unit length values.

I'm stubborn and anal....so Ill get there.
Martin

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:40 am

Looks like they are back in stock, a friend just ordered a set of the 2nd edition. Thanks for making this happen!
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:54 pm

Craig Bumgarner wrote:Looks like they are back in stock, a friend just ordered a set of the 2nd edition. Thanks for making this happen!
Make sure you get Trevor and Gerard to sign your copies...
Martin

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Make sure you get Trevor and Gerard to sign your copies...
Darn, should have thought about that before I put in my order
Trent

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:34 pm

DSCF8840s.jpg
DSCF8840s.jpg (102.38 KiB) Viewed 22836 times
I will be shipping 2nd edition books from today onward. If you want to place an order, you can do so here. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:06 pm

Minimum purchase is a carton? :mrgreen:
Martin

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:50 am

Well done. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say we are grateful for the effort in producing a second edition.

It also looks like a serious logistics exercise. Don't do your back in again!

Cheers dave
------------------
Dave

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:54 pm

Dave M wrote:Well done. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say we are grateful for the effort in producing a second edition.
Thanks!
Dave M wrote:It also looks like a serious logistics exercise. Don't do your back in again!
A full container load this time. Shouldn't run out again any time soon...

I'm doing a launch event for the 2nd Edition at Strato's Fine Luthier's Gallery, in combination with the official opening of the gallery. I will have books available and will be signing them for those who so wish. If you want your 1st Editions signed, I can do that, too. The launch will start with drinks at 6.00pm on Friday 23rd September at 56, Victory Parade, Toronto, NSW. There will be a half hour performance by the Lake Macquarie Guitar Orchestra, conducted by the inimitable Bruce Matiske, followed by a few words from me and then more entertainment. If you're in the area, you're welcome to come along. Should be a lot of fun!