Falcate Tap Tone

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

JWilliams
Gidgee

Falcate Tap Tone

Post by JWilliams » Thu May 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Hello Everyone,
First time poster, long time lurker. I just finished gluing up my first falcate classical top and am a bit disappointed with the result. The tap tone is just a bit dull: while not quite a thud, and not unmusical, it is not nearly as resonant as a fan braced or even a lattice braced top (the lattice guitar I've built before were loosely based on the Courtnall plan with solid wood lattice, no CF, and a relatively thicker top). I realize that conventional tap tuning is not the game here, but am concerned about the result so far. Is this just normal for the bracing style? Should I proceed or shave it and start anew?
Thanks,
J.

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Re: Falcate Tap Tone

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu May 11, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi JWilliams, Are you talking about a closed box or a just a braced plate? Can you post your FRCs?
Trent

JWilliams
Gidgee

Post by JWilliams » Fri May 12, 2017 1:22 am

Hi,
I am talking about the top with falcate braces glued on, but not attached to the sides. I have used the Gore method of establishing plate thickness. My braces are 8mm tall (Primary and Secondary) and have been shaped/tapered, although I have not yet added the CF on top of the braces, only underneath. When I dangle the braced top by my ear and tap it with my knuckle, fingertip, or mallet, the resulting tone is of shorter duration and seems to contain fewer overtones than a conventional top. I may be erroneously correlating what I perceive as a lively resonant top with lively resonant completed guitar. I realize that this may signify nothing and is not part of the method from "The Book". Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Thanks,
J.

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Fri May 12, 2017 7:51 am

From either the book or the course, I think I remember that not much can be inferred from braced plates due to coupling effect
Trent

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Fri May 12, 2017 8:28 am

A falcate plate is pretty floppy until you get the bridge on

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Fri May 12, 2017 8:56 am

If you haven't got the top carbon on, you likely haven't you got the upper transverse brace on yet, either. That and the bridge and gluing to the rims make a big difference to everything.

The books cover enough ground for readers to be able to design their own innovative bracing systems and covers in detail the design and construction of a falcate steel string bracing system. How to convert that for classical instruments is an exercise that numerous readers have engaged in and enjoyed, with some great results. So I'm confident you'll be able to get a successful result, though maybe not the first time around. Keep us posted on how it goes.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 12, 2017 9:25 pm

JWilliams wrote:Hi,
I am talking about the top with falcate braces glued on, but not attached to the sides. I have used the Gore method of establishing plate thickness. My braces are 8mm tall (Primary and Secondary) and have been shaped/tapered, although I have not yet added the CF on top of the braces, only underneath. When I dangle the braced top by my ear and tap it with my knuckle, fingertip, or mallet, the resulting tone is of shorter duration and seems to contain fewer overtones than a conventional top. I may be erroneously correlating what I perceive as a lively resonant top with lively resonant completed guitar. I realize that this may signify nothing and is not part of the method from "The Book". Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Thanks,
J.
Not a part of "the method" but nothing wrong with tapping the top before it's fixed to the sides and noting the difference in results as you move through a build. All a part of the journey.. :)
Martin