Strap pin

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Strap pin

Post by Dave M » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:15 am

Given the brass bar running through the middle of the heel in the GG design where do people put the strap button?

I quite like the look of Dan Erlewine's suggestion of having it on the guitar shoulder not on the heel at all.
------------------
Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Strap pin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:26 pm

I cant see why you can't drill through heel cap into the brass bar? You could run a tap into the hole and use an appropriately threaded screw instead of the normal wood screw. I actually don't put strap pins on my guitars but that's just me.
Martin

Woodsy23
Blackwood

Post by Woodsy23 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:52 pm

I locate it on the guitar shoulder but I glue a curved off-cut from the guitar side to the inside face to act as reinforcing. That way the material I screw into is at least 4mm thick. You could glue in two reinforcing layers if you wanted the extra strength from 6mm thick timber.
Richard

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:14 am

Woodsy thanks. I ended up on the shoulder about 16 mm from the heel edge and with a supporting block inside to screw into, as per Dan Erlewine.

Martin I don't normally but the player this is going to plays standing up. Bolting into the brass would certainly be strong. I am a bit concerned that the screw supplied with the pin is a bit fragile.
------------------
Dave