Arm bevel and target thickness calculations

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Arm bevel and target thickness calculations

Post by lamanoditrento » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi All,

I am thinking of including a arm bevel al a Kent Everett and been trying to think through the processes. I had done target thickness calculations for the sound board on the full plantilla, but now I am thinking I need to deduct the net width (less the normal lining thickness) of the bevel from the lower bout calculations. Is this right... or because it is only on the bass side, split the difference between each panel?

I have only partially installed the rosette, so the joined panel are still at full thickness.
Trent

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Arm bevel and target thickness calculations

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:00 am

First thing I'd ask is why a bevel?

Whilst a bevel is easier on the forearm for sure, it also puts your arm onto the top, adding a lot of damping. So I usually go for an arm rest, which takes the pressure off the forearm and also takes the forearm off the top. And no need for any thickness adjustments.

Here's one:
DSCF9691s.jpg
DSCF9691s.jpg (70.02 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
...and, of course, it's removable...
DSCF9664s.jpg
DSCF9664s.jpg (75.18 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
If you're definitely going the bevel, just deduct the top width lost. Probably 15-20mm.

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Re: Arm bevel and target thickness calculations

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:21 am

Mostly doing an arm bevel for the fun of trying it. Thanks Trevor will deduct the the 12mm I have planned for the bevel
Trent