Data for a Smallman guitar?

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

josswinn
Beefwood

Data for a Smallman guitar?

Post by josswinn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:13 am

I'm really enjoying the design book, even though I don't understand the maths. There are some very useful summaries of the consequences of the science in relation to material and design choices. Because it's so interesting, one thing I keep wishing I could see is some data from a Smallman guitar because of its radical design, historical significance and influence. It's alluded to in the book, but never spelled out with real data. I can't find any on the web either.

Surely someone, somewhere has recorded some tap tones and Chladni patterns of an actual Smallman guitar?
Joss Winn

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Data for a Smallman guitar?

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:58 pm

josswinn wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:13 am
I'm really enjoying the design book, even though I don't understand the maths. There are some very useful summaries of the consequences of the science in relation to material and design choices. Because it's so interesting, one thing I keep wishing I could see is some data from a Smallman guitar because of its radical design, historical significance and influence. It's alluded to in the book, but never spelled out with real data. I can't find any on the web either.

Surely someone, somewhere has recorded some tap tones and Chladni patterns of an actual Smallman guitar?
I think there are a few articles in some of the GAL Big Red Books on Smallman's guitars. My set are packed away ready for a house move but some else might want to flick through their set and check.

Check out American Lutherie Volume 8 pp 30 -34 - has an article about Smallman and John Williams
Martin

dsgoen
Gidgee

Post by dsgoen » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:47 am

Meet Gregg Smallman
1986 AL#8 p.30 Graham Caldersmith Jim Williams ▪ This interview covers the evolution of Smallman’s guitars as he worked his way toward the lattice bracing system for which he has become famous. Classical guitar lore from the outback of Australia.

Quick Cuts: An Experimental Carbon-Reinforced Guitar
2008 AL#93 p.64 Peter Vile ▪ The author gives us a quick look at his carbon fiber/balsa, lattice-braced guitars with wingless bridges, and what he achieved with them. He mentions Kasha/Schneider, Greg Smallman, Jurgen Meyer, and Gila Eban. With 3 photos and 6 sketches.

Lattice Bracing Guitar Tops
1995 AL#43 p.11 BRB4 p.206 Jim Williams ▪ Williams discusses the building style he has borrowed from Greg Smallman for classical guitars. With 14 photos, plus drawings. This article has been nominated as one of the Guild’s best articles published before 2010.
Radiation from Lower Guitar Modes

1985 AL#2 p.20 BRB1 p.68 Graham Caldersmith ▪ Caldersmith discusses the efficiency and pattern of sound radiation in the classic guitar produced by the four lower resonance modes, which he calls monopole, cross dipole, long dipole, and tripole. Mentions Tom Rossing, Gila Eban, Paul Wyzskowski, Fred Dickens, Michael Kasha, Richard Schneider, and Greg Smallman.

josswinn
Beefwood

Post by josswinn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:38 am

Thanks, both, for all those references. I ordered all 7 BRBs from GAL a couple of weeks ago, so I guess they will arrive soon.
Joss Winn