Mass Support Block - Positioning

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Mitch Lees
Beefwood

Mass Support Block - Positioning

Post by Mitch Lees » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:22 am

I make my guitars with modified side splints to house magnets which mate with similar magnets on a knee support. The support I use is a modified Ergo Play (magnets instead of suckers): it has 3 attachment points and hence 3 magnets - 2 on the upper bout and 1 on the lower bout. For the first time I am modifying my building process to use several of the ideas in the 'Books' - in this case mass loading the sides if required. It would be very convenient if I could use the mass support blocks as magnet housings. However, this would mean that the 2 mass support blocks would both be on the treble side; also the mass attachment nut on the lower bout block could not be central because the magnet needs to be in the middle.

So my question is: does it matter if the additional weights applied to the sides are both on the same side of the guitar, and does it matter if one of them is not in the middle of the side but nearer the top (or back)?

Grateful for your views
Mitch

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Mass Support Block - Positioning

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Mitch Lees wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:22 am
does it matter if the additional weights applied to the sides are both on the same side of the guitar...
I frequently use added mass only on one side, usually the treble side, so no problem there.
Mitch Lees wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:22 am
...and does it matter if one of them is not in the middle of the side but nearer the top (or back)?
The advantage of a central fixing is that masses drilled through the centre can spin without hitting either the top or the back. (The masses can twist (spin) on the bolt when you torque them up). If fitted eccentrically, you lose that benefit and a loose mass could rotate and hit the back or much more dangerously, the top.

Anecdote: A customer who flies a lot internationally had his side masses "inspected" by TSA agents. The masses were replaced but the screws were only done up finger tight. No damage, because provided the screws stayed in (which they did), the masses couldn't hit anything when they rotated.

Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be an acoustical downside provided the masses are very firmly attached and can't act as an independent spring/mass system.

Mitch Lees
Beefwood

Post by Mitch Lees » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:49 pm

Trevor,

Thank you, I will get on and design my blocks now.

Mitch

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Anecdote: A customer who flies a lot internationally had his side masses "inspected" by TSA agents. The masses were replaced but the screws were only done up finger tight. No damage, because provided the screws stayed in (which they did), the masses couldn't hit anything when they rotated.
You'd have to fill the guitar with coke to get the same weight as a couple of metal side weights :mrgreen:
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:20 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:56 pm
You'd have to fill the guitar with coke to get the same weight as a couple of metal side weights :mrgreen:
I guess the side masses will look a bit weird on the Xrays...

2nd anecdote: I was traveling with a guitar through LHR. Picked up the guitar at the baggage carousel and found a neat round hole punched in the side at the head end of the case. Took me a while to figure out what would cause a hole like that in a Hiscox case.

It had been core sampled.