Steel String Chladni Patterns

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Steel String Chladni Patterns

Post by Dave M » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:40 am

Most of my generating of Chladnis has been on classical guitars.

I was testing a recently completed steel string and was having a bit of difficulty exciting the top. It struck me that perhaps the much stiffer top structure of the SS might need a lot more acoustic energy to get it going. Would people say that is the case?

I am using a 4 inch speaker in a closed enclosure with a domestic stereo amplifier being fed from VA. I do still have some headroom but I was at levels that have worked fine with classicals.
------------------
Dave

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Steel String Chladni Patterns

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:46 am

I can't say I've noticed much difference, though there probably is one. Twice the power would only be another 3dB. I'll have the gear out next w/e, so I'll see if I find any difference.

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:41 am

Well I can answer my own question having finally got round to doing a bridge rotation test. I have a very stiff top!

It is falcate braced and I thought it a pretty good, loud guitar with plenty of sustain, but maybe I haven't put it alongside a really responsive guitar.
------------------
Dave

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:49 am

I tested a "guitar" box built for construction demonstration purposes at the recent modal tuning course. The top was around 4mm thick. It was really hard to get any Chladni patterns going compared to more normally constructed guitars. For classicals I have no problem getting patterns up to nearly 1 KHz. So yes, stiffer guitars are harder to get going.