Slotted or unslotted

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

gerryt
Kauri

Slotted or unslotted

Post by gerryt » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:16 am

In my standard traditional style builds I've always used unslotted bridge pins and slotted the bridge to fit the individual strings. Now that I'm on this journey and trying to apply the Books as fully as I can the question occurs to me what people are doing regarding this matter. I really dislike slotted bridge pins and would prefer to continue my normal method but I wonder whether it's desirable, feasible (or even possible?) to slot a carbon fibre laminate bridge plate and bridge.

Again I presume on the knowledge of this wonderful community and hope that someone can describe what they do. Maybe I'll just have to get used to slotted pins..... :roll:

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Slotted or unslotted

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:07 am

I slot my laminated bridges and use unslotted pins. A slot saw/file will have no problem getting through the layers of CF in a Gore style bridge.
Martin

gerryt
Kauri

Re: Slotted or unslotted

Post by gerryt » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:56 am

Excellent. Thanks for that Martin. No need for me to change then! I had some carbon fibre rods inlaid into a neck and it was really hard stuff to work (filing a little off the tenon during neck setting).