Latest build final tap results

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

chrisbaer
Kauri

Latest build final tap results

Post by chrisbaer » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:39 am

Hello all! Happy New Year to everyone! I'd call the last decade "mixed", but guitar building has certainly been a great joy in my life!

Here are the results for my latest build. I intended to make a higher-tuned guitar this time and am overjoyed that I hit the marks very closely! It has a nice, high, glassy tone that's a good contrast to my previous builds. Each time, I feel like I get closer to "As Designed!"

I've already shaved quite a bit off the back brace to get it down to 230hz - the direct back tap is showing 227hz. Should I keep going? Is it better to go lower in the middle, or to extend the lowered area farther out towards the sides?

Is it worth it to try to lower the T(1,1)1 by 1.6Hz? I monkeyed around with putting in some brass bridge pins, but any amount of weight was enough to lower the T(1,1)2 also.

Thanks for all your help! (Thanks also, for donating the Australian Lacewood for the back and sides - it's stunning!)

Chris Baer
Attachments
IMG_1137.jpeg
IMG_1127.jpeg
BO 3 Final Tap Graph.png

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Latest build final tap results

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:01 am

That looks close enough to ideal to leave it as is. Well done, Chris!