Electronic setup

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

jamtor
Gidgee

Electronic setup

Post by jamtor » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:32 am

Just finnished the design book. Starting to put together the electronics necesary for the process. Downloaded the VA software version 9.0.6.

Problem is, im not very tech savy...

For the microphone: what would you guys suggest?
In the local store i can get a Samson Q2U usb microphone. Is that good enough?

Speaker: i have a monacor sp 60/8 lying around somewhere (i see some in the forum are using this in their setup)

Thanks!

For the frequency generator: there will be no chance in hell i can build one from scratch. What can you guys suggest that is readily available in the market? I see lot on ebay but not sure of the quality.

Dave M
Blackwood

Re: Electronic setup

Post by Dave M » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:30 am

I simply use the signal generator in VA. Feed it through an old domestic amplifier, using the headphone output from the laptop. This drives a 4 inch car speaker which I have enclosed in a box. Works fine, the speaker was very cheap.

You will need ear protection!

Cheers Dave
------------------
Dave

jamtor
Gidgee

Post by jamtor » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:18 pm

thats a good idea! I can look into amplifiers. But is it possible to get an amplifier that is to strong that it will fry the 4" speaker?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:45 pm

My setup uses a Shure SM57 microphone running into mic input of a Windows laptop via a preamp. For Chladni work I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of Bradley's tone generators with a built in 50 watt amp.
Martin

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:33 am

Clearly you can blow up speakers and there have been some reports on here.
However although you do need a fair bit of power to bring up the Chladnis, you don't have to be too extreme.

I have always felt the big risk is of dropping the speaker box on to the guitar! I keep meaning to suspend it with a bungee cord but haven't quite got round to it.
------------------
Dave