Headstock - Ears or not

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

David Stiles
Sassafras

Headstock - Ears or not

Post by David Stiles » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I am just starting another guitar build and would like some advice/opinions on the neck. I have a blank that is 100mm wide so it would not need to have ears added for the headstock.

I initially thought that this is a good thing but after gluing the scarf joint I am having second thoughts. I realize that the ears hide much of the scarf joint and without them, the joint might be too obvious. What do you think, should I rip the blank down to Trevor's recommended width of 70mm?

David

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Headstock - Ears or not

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:23 pm

I only stick on ears when the blank isn't wide enough. Usually the case when I'm doing a straight string pull headstock.
Martin

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:23 am

I have done it both ways. If wide enough I generally do not add the ears. I do not mind showing the scarf on the sides. I did have one instrument where I added ears and I also managed to carefully place the back end of the scarf right under the volute. The headstock transition had a very clean look

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:04 am

Also the glued on bits themselves tend to show. No matter how careful I am to use pieces from the same neck blank and check orientation they tend to be obvious. Dave
------------------
Dave

David Stiles
Sassafras

Post by David Stiles » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:43 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. Nice to have a reality check.