Cutting notches in braces

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Cutting notches in braces

Post by Dave M » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:53 am

I realised that we already use a depth stop on our fret saw to cut specific depths and this could be used to do a series of cuts in a brace to be followed by a chisel. It worked well for me.
Attachments
Notch cutting small.jpg
------------------
Dave

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Cutting notches in braces

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Nice one, Dave.

I've used a router recently. Do both braces together and space them apart a bit so that the router is stable. Set the depth by sitting the router base on the bridge plate + CF and drop the bit to the bench. Ends of cuts defined with saw cuts, as usual. Using the depth stop is a good idea. I've just been eyeballing it.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:17 am

Pretty much how Ive been doing mine of late....an ideal job for the Dremel and mini router base.
Trevor Gore wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:20 pm
Nice one, Dave.

I've used a router recently. Do both braces together and space them apart a bit so that the router is stable. Set the depth by sitting the router base on the bridge plate + CF and drop the bit to the bench. Ends of cuts defined with saw cuts, as usual. Using the depth stop is a good idea. I've just been eyeballing it.
Martin

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Dave M wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:53 am
I realised that we already use a depth stop on our fret saw to cut specific depths and this could be used to do a series of cuts in a brace to be followed by a chisel. It worked well for me.
Great idea!!
I have a small fine Japanese saw which turns out the teeth are cut exactly 2mm into the blade. So have been cutting the brace notches until the saws teeth disappear.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:36 pm

A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to get a Bridge City jointmaker second hand, for a pretty good price (a single wing - the "cheap" model). It is the Rolls Royce for doing precision cuts. Check out the video.
https://www.bridgecitytools.com/default ... maker.html