cutting slots in bridge pins

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Mark McLean
Blackwood

cutting slots in bridge pins

Post by Mark McLean » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:57 pm

I got a set of buffalo horn bridge pins from LMI. Very nice, but they don't have any slots for the strings to run in. I like slots in my bridge pins so I decided to cut some. You can buy a special jig for this task from Stew-Mac or LMI if you want to part with $US63.48. Basically all you need is something to hold the bugger still while you attack it with a small rotary tool. I experimented with some old plastic pins- put them in a vise and had a go with the Dremmel, freehand. Completely butchered them. Then I made up this simple jig and had success.

Cut a slot in a piece of scrap timber with a 6mm bit, and then ream it into a tapered shape using a bridge pin reamer. I nailed and glued a T-piece on the back of this so that it can be put in a vise.

The pin holder is flush with the benchtop and the ruler is clamped there to act as a straight edge to guide my Dremmel base. The piece over the head of the pin holds it in the slot. As you can see, it is all pretty rough and I made it in 10 minutes. No inlay work on this jig, Craig.

The masking tape holds it down, and there is a 1/16" bit in the Dremmel set it to the desired depth. It is good to have the slot a bit longer than the pin so that you can set the depth and start the bit in that space at the end. Adjust the straight edge so that it is parallel to the long axis of the pin and at the correct distance.

Start the motor and cut your slot. I took one pass to the head of the pin and then ran back down again. There is quite a lot of dust so have the vacuum handy (you don't want to inhale that organic stuff).

Here it is immediately after cutting. Clean it up with some 600 grit and it will look great and hold that string forever.