Making Laminated Solid Linings

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Making Laminated Solid Linings

Post by Allen » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 pm

Waiting for glue to dry so I thought I might as well put together a little tutorial on how I'm going about making some laminated linings for a batch of Soprano Ukulele's. I tried to use kerfed linings, but the bends are so tight that they weren't all that satisfactory to use.

I also like using laminated linings as it's much easier and far less expensive to find wood that is suitable for laminated linings than it is to find spruce or mahogany for kerfed ones. I bought a 3 meter long board of Hoop Pine for $5. Enough to do dozens of instruments.

First off, I ripped some Hoop Pine into strips and ran them through the drum sander to end up with 3 strips 1.4 -1.5 mm thick. Gives you a finished lining 4.2 to 4.5 mm thick.

Imagee,

You can also see the bending form and outside mold that, as well as some clamps.

I give each of the strips a little bend on the hot pipe, just to help them into the waist of the mold without fracturing.

Then I brush each of the mating surfaces with hot hide glue, wrap the strips in baking paper so the don't stick to the form, and clamp them up. No pictures of the glue up as I had to move reasonably fast.

Let dry over night preferably, then you will end up with something that looks like the piece on the left. I then trued up a face, and slice off 10 mm strips on the band saw.

I run them past a round over bit in my router table, then trim to length and glue in with some more hot hide glue.

It makes very stiff rims, and does look good in my opinion. Same process for any size instrument. You can even get really fancy and use contrasting woods to give a stripe effect.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:36 am

That is very slick Allen. I can imagine that they are very strong, and they look classy. Is it hard to run those curved forms through the bandsaw? At the waist you must be cutting above the level of the table - but it obviously comes out OK......

By the way, I love the look of that workbench. Sometime you should give us a rundown on your bench design - could be a topic for a new thread.

(added later) - Right after I posted this I found that Alan had just started a new thread on this exact subject! Mysterious synchronicity.
thanks
Mark