Just slow down will ya?

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

hilo_kawika
Blackwood

Just slow down will ya?

Post by hilo_kawika » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:48 pm

Somehow both my Makita and Ryobi hand held random orbit sanders behave like the "wild mouse" ride when used at full speed on smaller areas of an instrument.

Solution: I plug either one into a router speed controller and dial the speed down to ~ 2/3 of the original speed, at which point both sanders behave in a most controllable manner...(^-^).

And the same speed controller seems to work well for controlling heating blanket temperatures - at least for the duration of the bend and setting period afterwards - about 10 minutes total.

aloha,

Dave Hurd
www.ukuleles.com[/list]
How to become a millionaire? Start with $2 million and become a luthier...

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:45 pm

Nice little tip Dave (fortunately my Bosch has a speed control built in) and I feel your subject heading could carry over into the whole build. Time spent doing things carefully is time saved correcting later.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Good tip David. You also get a much better finish and longer use out of your sandpaper at slower rpm's. Something that most of the apprentices at work haven't figured out yet. Along with turning down volume on the stereo and driving less than flat out.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia