Semi-Hemispherical fret ends

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Semi-Hemispherical fret ends

Post by Rod True » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:41 am

Here's my shot at doing Semi-Hemispherical fret ends. Never done it before but I didn't think it would be to difficult.

So, this is the first time I tried semi-hemisperical fret ends. Never seen a tutorial on this and wasn’t going to pay $25 to Sylvan Wells to see his method, so I came up with my own way. Actually, I’ve had this idea in my head for a couple years now, just never tried it.

I ensure that the fretboard is level before fretting (one reason for waiting till it’s attached to the body) and in this case, I had no sanding to do, sweet!

Ok, so I protect the upper bout area of the guitar and rest the neck on a bag of sand I have.

I then radius my fretwire, homemade radius thing too (of course)

I then pre-cut my fretwire for each fret and put it in a holder (no picture sorry).
I started at the soundhole end of the fretboard incase I cut one of the frets to short, I can use it on the next one up ;)
First thing I do is undercut the fretwire for the binding. I have the Stew Mack fret tang nipper and It works perfect for me.

I then held the fret in the slot and marked the edge of the fretboard on the fret with a sharpie I chiseled to a fine point (I need one of those fine point sharpies in the shop).

Then I take it to the jig I made ;)
It’s a block of hardwood, with a grove cut for the fret tang and a channel for a fret file. The holding face is also radiused to about 10" so the fretwire doesn't bend back straight/flat. Here’s a bunch of pictures.

The thin board along the front is shimmed 0.020” (veneer) on the end held in the vise. This allows the fret to slide up into the groove and then holds the fret tight with the screw on the left.

I’ve made a pencil mark where the fret needs to be ground round (this was done by trial and error to get the location right), so I align the sharpie mark to the pencil mark.
I then run the fret file over the fret to round it, also tilting the fret file down to get a curve to the top of the fret end.

I then pull the fret out and do a quick little touch up with the file free hand to make it look round and even.

Then I check it on the fretboard to make sure the other end is marked right, then I repeat for the other end. I’ll sneak up on it, checking it on the fretboard to make sure it looks right. I only want a couple 0.001” offset from the edge of the fretboard. If it looks like it’s offset too much, I’ll save it for the next slot. Then I hammer them in and move on to the next one.

Once they are all done, I check the board for level and as has been the case in many of my last boards, there is a slight back bow from fretting (about 1/64”). I don’t mind this as I know the neck will pull forward with the strings so I don’t need to level the frets.

That's it. Give it a shot, you'll love the results.
"I wish one of the voices in your head would tell you to shut the hell up." - Warren De Montegue

Lillian
Blackwood

Re: Semi-Hemispherical fret ends

Post by Lillian » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks Rod for the tutorial. That was clear and easy to understand. Much appreciated.

rod
Kauri

Post by rod » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:14 am

Good one Rod.......I'll be giving this one a go!

ckngumbo
Blackwood

Post by ckngumbo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:18 pm

That's great!
Thanks

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:02 pm

Wish you posted this a week ago as it's a better solution to the one I used. :?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Very interesting and useful tutorial Rod. Thanks for posting. Could I ask, is it as difficult as I imagine to hammer in a very precisely dimensioned fret, and have it sit exactly where it's supposed to sit, and not a bit off to one side or the other.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:15 pm

Yes.... :twisted:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:07 am

Great tute, Rod

Can you explain how you do your fret slots which don't run fully out to the edge of fretboard? Looking at your image the fretboard seems to be one piece ... i.e. doesn't appear to have edge strips glued on.
rod_fret_slot.jpg
rod_fret_slot.jpg (14.37 KiB) Viewed 24331 times
Are the slots routed? If so, what size bit is used .... and can you post images of the slot-cut tooling/jig that you use?

Thanks
John M

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:54 am

Thanks folks.

John, I bind all my fretboards with the off cuts from the same board. So I find my largest dimension for the board, before the binding, and I cut it to that size (rectangular). Then I slot the board on my table saw, then I taper the board, glue on the binding and radius.
This BRW just happens to be a perfect match and is really hard to see the seam of the binding.

Mike, as Allen mentioned, it's a bit hard to ensure the ends of the frets site right where you want them. When I hammer the frets in, I make sure the hammer blow is as vertical as possible, any angle will push the fret over. I always hammer the ends first, then work my way toward the middle of the fret.

Honestly, by the time you get your first board done, you'll want to go back and re-do the first few frets...
"I wish one of the voices in your head would tell you to shut the hell up." - Warren De Montegue

rod
Kauri

Post by rod » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:25 am

Hey Rod, What measurement do your fingerboards end up being at the nut?
Cheers....Rod

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:33 am

Hey Rod,

I change them depending one the owners taste and desire. I'm really liking 1-23/32" and that is what this one is.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:21 pm

Nice tute Rod,

I love the look but do mine a little differently shaping with a rubberized ceramic grinding disk, and using a caul to install the frets with a drillpress. I explained how I align the fret ends in a tute I done on hemispherical ends a few years back, this may help with your method also however I would imagine that pressing would make it a bit easier to get right.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=793

Cheers

Kim

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Good questions John and thanks Rod for the answers. It sure leaves the board neat and tidy with a top end look.

Steve

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:10 pm

Great tutorial Rod! It's good to see your approach. If I can make one suggestion towards marking on metal, after marking your cut with a sharpie, use a scale and a scribe to mark the edge of the fretboard and you can get within a couple of thousandth's of the actual edge and cut to a greater precision.

Great fretboard work all the way around!

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:20 am

BillyT wrote:Great tutorial Rod! It's good to see your approach. If I can make one suggestion towards marking on metal, after marking your cut with a sharpie, use a scale and a scribe to mark the edge of the fretboard and you can get within a couple of thousandth's of the actual edge and cut to a greater precision.

Great fretboard work all the way around!
Brilliant, Billy! Thanks :)

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:05 pm

Rod True wrote:
Rod's not hard to spot in a crowd......the left leg of his jeans are about 18" shorter than the right leg :mrgreen:
Martin