Tool Sharpening Video

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Lillian
Blackwood

Tool Sharpening Video

Post by Lillian » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:00 pm

I came across this new video on how to sharpen chisels without a hone. I prefer to use a hone because I could never get a sharp edge free hand, but I might give free hand sharpening another try after watching this video.

I do like the anti-skip mat in the cookie tray.

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Re: Tool Sharpening Video

Post by Dave Anderson » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:36 am

Yeah,this is pretty much how I sharpen chisels Lillian except I go back And forward when honing(a bit quicker).But to start out I would do like this guy does-just hone back towards you. I used to use those hone guides too but after some practice,you shouldn't need them.I like the Norton water stones too.
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:13 am

I love my water stones. And I'm using an 8' DTM Diamond stone. It is so easy to keep the water stones flat with it.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:28 am

Dave Anderson wrote:Yeah,this is pretty much how I sharpen chisels Lillian except I go back And forward when honing(a bit quicker).But to start out I would do like this guy does-just hone back towards you. I used to use those hone guides too but after some practice,you shouldn't need them.I like the Norton water stones too.
I work backwards and forwards on the coarser Japanese water stones I use but find that when going forwards on a really fine Japanese water stone there's a risk of digging the blade into the stone......theyre quite soft.

I use the Veritas Mark II honing guide but I find it not as good as the older Mark I guide. There seems to be alot more play in the Mark II guide and you're never guaranteed of having the blade in the guide at exactly the same angle as the last time you had the tool in the guide.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:33 am

Note that the video covers sharpening a chisel which has been hollow ground. I work with a flat primary bevel and my cutting edge is a 1-2 degree microbevel worked into same....this is the system the Veritas honing guide is designed around.
Martin

deadedith
Myrtle

Post by deadedith » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:52 pm

Brian Burns, a gifted luthier on the west coast of California, taught me how to sharpen my chisels and planes and scrapers using the waterstone method.
He also posted a helpful vid on YouTube; if you're interested, here's the link:

http://youtu.be/WO_M95qDdAQ
Dave Bagwill

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Len McIntosh
Gidgee

Post by Len McIntosh » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:20 am

Heres a tip i got to make sure your angle is the same, "paint" the bevel edge with a felt tip pen, i use a green one no special reason, after a few strokes check the paint.

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:51 am

I got sick and tired of constantly having to setup, clean, flatten, etc etc etc stones, I started using a different method.

2000 grit sandpaper. Used dry. Sharp enough to shave with. The whole process takes less than a minute.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:22 am

I must be the only real lazy one here.

There's a place just around the corner from where I work that I get to sharpen my spoke shave, hand plane blades, drill bits etc. its only a couple dollars each time which isn't very often as it seems to last a LOT longer than if I do it myself.

I also get them to cut my router bits to size.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:58 pm

After using Norton water stones for the last two years I finally bought some DMT stones on the weekend. The Norton stones worked very well, however I hated having to have water around all the time, flattening them etc. I used Trevor's method from "the book" for the first time today and it worked great! Soooo much faster, just some odorless kero and two diamond stones, what could be simpler. I had an old timer show me how to sharpen progressively lighter, chasing the bur some time ago and this is how I now do it. I recon I can get it down to about a minute with no clean up!

So if anyone is looking for some Norton water stones feel free to look in my bin :).
Jeremy D