Armrest held with rare earth magnets.

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Nick Payne
Myrtle

Armrest held with rare earth magnets.

Post by Nick Payne » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:37 pm

I recently made myself an armrest held on with rare earth magnets. It was pretty much a make-it-up-as-you-go-along sort of effort, and definitely capable of improvement, but here goes. The materials for an armrest were:

1. Ten rare earth magnets, 10mm diameter by 3mm thick. These have a pull of approximately 2kg per pair. I notice that Carbatec sell them, but they're much cheaper off eBay - I bought 50 of them on eBay for the same price as 10 from Carbatec.
2. Some 1mm veneer (Silky Oak in my case, as I already had it). You could use 0.6mm veneer instead - that just means that you'd need to laminate five layers instead of three to get a 3mm total thickness.
3. Some 75x12 timber from which to cut the curved top of the armrest. I re-sawed a piece of 75x25 in half to get the thickness I wanted.
4. Some 0.8mm cork sheeting. Also bought off eBay.

Construction
Note that the pictures show a left-handed armrest, as I play left-handed. Adjust accordingly for right-handed.
1. Cut three pieces of veneer, two long-grain and one cross-grain, to make a three-ply. I cut them to 220x55. You need to decide where to position them on the lower bout. For my purposes (playing classical guitar in the normal classical position), I decided that I wanted the centre of the rest to be slightly below the centreline of the bridge. When I take a line through the centre of the bridge out to the completed armrest, there is 110mm of rest below that line and 80mm above.
Glue the veneers around the lower bout of the guitar, using a couple of bridge blanks and some old bicycle inner tubes as clamps. You also need three small pieces of veneer as packing under the other side of each bridge blank to keep it square to the side of the guitar. I found I needed glad-wrap not only underneath the layers of veneer but also on top, as the glue migrated right through both the top and bottom veneers. To shorten the inner tubes to get sufficient tension for the clamping, I just tied a knot in them.
IMG_0604.JPG
2. Clean up the veneer laminate and use it to mark the correct curve on the timber for the top of the rest. Cut to shape. I used a bandsaw, but a jigsaw or fretsaw could also do the job
IMG_0605.JPG
3. Clean up the curved piece, making it a good fit to the laminate, and taper the inside of what will be the underside, to provide clearance from the soundboard. I tapered it down to about half thickness over 2/3 of the width. Check that the curve you have on the outside accurately matches the lower bout of the guitar
IMG_0608.JPG
4. Glue the two pieces together.
IMG_0609.JPG
5. Drill 10mm holes through the laminate for five of the magnets, making sure that they are positioned so that their pairs inside the guitar will clear the kerfing when the armrest is in place. Ditto for their lateral positioning to clear any reinforcing pieces on the inside of the guitar. Push the magnets into the holes, make sure that they are not proud of the surface on either side, and glue them in place (I used superglue, running it around the edge of each magnet and letting it wick into the join).
IMG_0612.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG
6. Cut another layer of veneer and glue it over the outside of the laminate to cover the magnets, using the same method over the bout of the guitar as (1) above to clamp the veneer.

7. Taper and curve the outside of the top of the rest so that it slopes down towards the outside of the guitar; curve and clean the ends. To get the taper, I cleaned the excess glue off the top, scribed a line about 6mm down from the top, and then removed wood freehand on a sanding belt over the outer 2/3 of the top of the rest.

8. Fine sand and apply a finish. I used an oil finish as providing a surface that my arm would easily slide over.
IMG_0616.JPG
9. Cut and fit the cork sheet on the inside of the armrest to protect the finish on the guitar.
IMG_0614.JPG
10. Position the armrest on the guitar and place the corresponding magnets inside to hold it in place. I was able to get my hand in far enough to easily place the first three - as soon as you get them close to the correct position they jump into place. The two at the bottom of the lower bout I couldn't reach directly, so to get them in place I put the magnet on the end of a bicycle spoke and manoeuvred it into position with an inspection mirror. It's not as easy as it sounds - if you let the magnet you're trying to place get too close to one of the already placed magnets, it flies off and attaches itself there. Once you get the magnet inside close enough to the magnet outside, it has a stronger attraction to the other magnet than to the spoke.
IMG_0618.JPG
IMG_0619.JPG
I haven't yet fixed the magnets in there so that they will stay in place when the armrest is removed - I'm still mulling over the best way to do that.

For the next one I make, I'll taper the rest part of the armrest more - this one looks too blocky. I also think that five magnets is maybe overkill. Three would probably be enough, and with a larger size (say 15mm diameter x 3mm thick, which have a pull over 50% greater than the 10mm I used), two might be enough.

Clancy
Blackwood

Re: Armrest held with rare earth magnets.

Post by Clancy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Top marks Nick.
Great result.
Great tut.
Thanks for putting it together.
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

Nick Payne
Myrtle

Post by Nick Payne » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:38 pm

p.s. I forget to say that I used contact cement for attaching the cork. Strong enough for the job and doesn't penetrate into the cork and stiffen it.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:42 am

Looks to be a heck of a good idea. Thanks for posting.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Thanks Nick, that tut will be real handy.
Wayne

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:02 pm

Thanks for posting Nick, very clever idea.

There's all sorts of design possibilities for REM's, I luv em and your adaptation is a beauty. :cl :cl :cl

Cheers

Kim

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:05 am

I missed this one Nick but nicely done, you have solved one of the problems I was thinking about with this design. I was not sure if magnets would be strong enough through the sides. 10mm magnets sound good. And arm rests lend themselves well to all sorts of designs and curves and can be really flowing and individual.

I don't like the built in bevels, they do not get your arm above the soundboard, they make it closer, they create an asymmetry in the soundboard and I think they need to be much flatter (not 45 degrees, more like 70) to be truely comfortable. They look cool and are hard to make but I don't think they are the best design solution.

So well done Nick for getting this done. Hope you don't mind if I use your magnet engineering.

I have a bunch of ebony bridge blanks that will never be bridges but would make nice detachable arm rests. And now you have convinced me to put magnets in the bodies of my next batch for optional detachable arm rests.
Cool
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!