intonation steel strings guitar 101

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

tippie53
Myrtle

intonation steel strings guitar 101

Post by tippie53 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:19 am

Learning to place the saddle and bridge is a very demanding task. Too far off one way or the other will create intonation issues. To help you understand the way this works we need to learn the static and dynamic portions of the process.
Static
Scale length is static and doesn't change
Compensation Angle 3 degree to help intonation between the 1st and 6th string
Fret height

Dynamics
Action height
working length of strings
String gauge

Ok so how do I place the bridge and saddle
First measure the nut to the 12th fret and double this. I then add .1 inch to this . Along the line of the 1st string I use that measurement to set the 1st part of the saddle.
using the line of the 6th string I take the first measurement and add .125 in. In both cases we are speaking of measuring to the front of the saddle.
Ok so lets say you have a 24.9 scale , so the 1st line is going to be 25.0 inch and the 6th 25.125.
this will get you in the ball park for a stadard action height of the strings. The higher the action height the longer the compensation you need. With a .100 thick saddle you will be in good shape.
Member of the board ASIA
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

Kamusur
Blackwood

Re: intonation steel strings guitar 101

Post by Kamusur » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:04 am

Welcome aboard John (Blues Creek Guitars) better say hello to everyone , stead of trying to sneak in the back door lol. :P

Steve

tippie53
Myrtle

Post by tippie53 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:18 pm

thanks for noticing I am here for fun and hope I can help. I like to share what I have learned
Member of the board ASIA

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi John,

Nice of you to join us at the ANZLF :)

BTW mate, in case you were wondering, it's not against our forum rules for a member to have a single live link to their own business website. The only stipulation is that it needs to be contained within your forum signature. So feel free to make it live cause there's lots of cool stuff at Blues Creek Guitars and it will make it easier for our members to find you if they need to. 8)

Cheers

Kim

tippie53
Myrtle

Post by tippie53 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:15 am

thanks
I like to help and don't want to make this a commercial but if I am allowed , I will take advantage. Hope to help
Member of the board ASIA