Seeing the line. Fret Board Slotting

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Seeing the line. Fret Board Slotting

Post by Allen » Sun May 04, 2008 5:51 pm

If your like me and are finding it more and more difficult to see what your are doing, then this might help you out.

I cut my own fret slots by hand with a back saw and mitre box. I mark out the fret slots with a scalpel by lightly scoring the board several times. On dark woods I find it really difficult to see the very fine line, so I just rub a piece of chalk over the board and the lines stand out really well. Simple and effective.

Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Sun May 04, 2008 6:58 pm

Thats a great little tip Allen.

On a related subject, what sort of mitre box do you use? Home-brew, adapted or bought? The reason I ask is because I don't like the idea of forking out obscene amounts of money for a special 'luthiers' mitre box, but I need a little inspiration for an accurate home made one.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon May 05, 2008 6:06 am

Mine is nothing special. Just a home made one that I sized for a fret board and made from MDF. I used a metal bridge next to the slot that the saw runs in that only allows the saw to cut to the correct depth for the fret tang. I also used some sticky back 80 grit sandpaper on the bottom of the mitre box to help stop the fret board from wanting to slide around when sawing.

The whole thing didn't cost more than $2. I did get the saw from Australian Luthier Supplies. It's a bit pricey, but it's cut 8 fret boards now and I expect it will last for years.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Sun May 11, 2008 7:50 pm

Nice tip there, Allan.
Will keep it in mind.