How to post a picture to the forum.

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

How to post a picture to the forum.

Post by Allen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:42 pm

This is just a little tutorial for those having difficulty in posting images to the forum.

First off you click on the "Upload Picture" dialog box.

This will pop a window where you choose the picture file that you want to post. Remember that it must be in one of the formats listed. If it is not then this whole process is not going to work. The most common format for pictures is .jpg. or .gif Click on the "Choose File" dialog box.

This will open a window where you can choose the picture from your computer that you want to upload. You must then hit the "Send" button.

Depending on the size of the image and the speed of your connection, the image will be uploaded to the server and will display in this window for you. You must then hit the "Standard" button in order to insert the code that will display the image in the post, if all you are doing is posting one image. If you are posting more than one image, you can hit the "Insert image and upload another one".

Last edited by Allen on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:52 am

Good job Allen - thanks for putting this together my friend. :cl :cl :cl :cl

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:31 am

you mean like this......Image
make mine fifths........

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:21 am

Thanks Allen

I think a few people don't realise they have to do the last step (your blue arrow) and click on "standard" before the pic will appear in the post.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:35 pm

Thanks Heaps Allen
Well presented, I'll give it a go.........don't hold your breath. The bit about "enter a code" might have me stumped but I'll try.[/code]
Taff

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi Taffy

If you click the "standard" link, it'll include the code in your post automatically.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:09 pm

I edited my commentary a bit in order to clarify things a bit more. Hope that it makes sense.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:27 pm

Roger that. Thanks guys
Taff

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:08 pm

Yo'all ... If ever you've taken images in HIGH resolution on a digi camera you'll notice they can be anything up to 2 megabytes or more EACH in file size. I've been using a nifty bit of FREE software for ages, called Irfanview, written by a Bosnian guy. Go to http://www.irfanview.com/ to download the software and stop by his help pages. It supports a gallery mode for all your stored pics, and is able to Image>Resize or Image>Sharpen or Image>Adjust Colour|Brightness|Contrast before you upload to the Forum. Have noticed the Forum's upload sequence says large pics will be resized (to fit standard webpage view I guess) but it MIGHT save a bit of time uploading large-file-size pics if you've resized them prior. Might be a blessing for those on diallup accounts, or wanting to send hi-res pics as attachments via email. A Google product called Picassa is also another good FREE image viewer.
Chiz
JohnFM
John M

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:12 am

Good tip John. I always crop and resize my images before uploading.

It's only available for MS Windows versions, so those on Apple Mac or other Unix/Linux systems are out of luck with here, but thankfully there are really good options on these operating systems.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:34 am

You may find this hard to believe but over many years when I've had a challenge to over come and nobody to ask [often], the answer has always showed up in the next copy of the GAL publication. Last night after spending 2 plus hours trying to work out to upload a photo (after the well presented cant go wrong tutorial, above] , I gave up and decided it's text only from now on. So I'm not surprised to find the answer, next day, on the Forum. Freaky. I was not going to ask on the forum again cos the whole lutherie word will think I'm areal dummy, well you probabily worked that out already. But I have had Picasa for a number of years.
Thanks John..................now what did he say?
Taff

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:16 pm

It's OK Taff ... everything good (and FREE) comes to those who wait!
Important thing when using Irfanview is if you are manipulating an original large-size image and you want to keep the original in it's native size/format, it's best to do a File>SAVE AS, otherwise you lose the properties of the original if you choose File>Save. After you make all the changes to the original this step allows you to select an appropriate format (JPG or GIF for web or email, or TIFF for inserting the pic in a document) and folder location (I ALWAYS set up a different folder to save the new pics in, and always create an appropriate name .. e.g. 'ukulele-resized' or 'ukulele-sharpened').

You can also do BATCH processing of multiple images, can save huge amounts of time! ... but this is for advanced players. Muck around with a few pics one by one and see how you go - always happy to help if you get stuck (ping me a PM). I use Irfanview when teaching TAFE students who need to manipulate images, it's also the standard image viewer on all our work machines @ the College. You can also hook up a scanner to your PC and bring images straight in so that cropping, rotating, sharpening, resizing etc etc etc can then be performed. The Boznian dude's website has good support pages, and the Help/How To files within Irfanview are well written.

Keep pluggin' away, and always keep in mind the 3 R's of learning computing ... Repetition, Repetition, Repetition.

Chiz

John :lol:
John M

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:01 pm

I have use Irfanview for many years as well, it really is a VERY handy program.

For tech challenged folk like Taff however, if using Windows XP, it may be easier to download and use Microsoft Power Tools Image Resizer.

This is a nice easy to use little app that once installed will allow the user to simply "right click" on any image and in the selection menu will appear "resize picture". You simply select this with a left click and choose from the list of common image size resolutions displayed.

Once done, a copy of the image in the new resolution you have chosen, say 640 x 480 as in the example below, will be automatically created in the same folder as your original image. The new smaller image will even have the same file name, with the exception that the word "small" will be added and this is the one that you would upload.

The image shown below was downloaded as a huge 2048 x 1546 pixels or 1.44 meg and therefore much too big to upload to the forum or even save to a floppy. With a quick right click of the mouse, it was converted to a much more manageable 640 x 480 pixels or 68kb.

Anyhow, here is a link for the XP Power Tools Image Resize applet, hope this sorts your problem Taffy.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... ySetup.exe

Cheers

Kim

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:00 pm

Thanks guy's, and I thought building guitars was just wood and chisels
Taff

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Nope Taffy, it's about how much beer it takes to rinse out the dust. :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:19 pm

Ok, I'm hopefully posting a photo of one of the Lap slides I biuld.Image
Taff

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:48 pm

Way to go Taffy and a great looking instrument as well.

One thing to remember when you are posting multiple images is to hit enter after each one so it will appear on it's own line and they will align vertically rather than having the images all horizontally aligned making everyone looking at your post scroll across the screen to read any text which will follow the width of screen under the images.

What did you use to resize??

Cheers

Kim

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:00 pm

Well I tried your suggestion Kim and it worked so easily I stuck with it.
Thanks all
Taff

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:08 pm

Well done, Taff!
Sweet looking lap slide you've got there ... happy to swap computing tips for build tips any time!!

John
John M

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: How to post a picture to the forum.

Post by charangohabsburg » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Software changes from time to time. This is how I see the upload screen on the ANZLF by June 2012:
upload_pics_phpBB.gif
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: How to post a picture to the forum.

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:54 am

After clicking the Browse button select your picture file and hit the Open button:
I have translated the relevant parts that appear on my computer in German (by mid 2012 it was English)
2.gif
2.gif (31.86 KiB) Viewed 27586 times
Then click on the Add File button.

Depending on how busy and slow your computer is, it will sometimes take a few seconds until the "Upload is currently in progress" window will pop up. Wait until it automatically disappears (which also may take sometimes 10 or 20 seconds). Be patient.
3.gif
3.gif (28.16 KiB) Viewed 27586 times
4.gif
5.gif
Hit the Preview button to see how your post finally will look like.

Click the Submit button when you’re done with the whole editing of your post.
After that you will be allowed to edit your post during 5 seconds :shock: ....errmmm 5 minutes I mean, I believe.... ;)
6.gif
6.gif (10.85 KiB) Viewed 27586 times
I don't know what the allowed maximum size in pixels and bytes is. I normally resize my picture to 20 x 15 centimetres at 72 pixels per inch, which is 567 x 425 pixels (normally less than 50 Kb), which is big enough for most pictures, but you can upload bigger pictures. Rob (auscab) said here that the forum software will tell you the maximum sizes if you tried to exceed it.

Good luck!
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.