Preventing Rust on Tools and Machinery

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Preventing Rust on Tools and Machinery

Post by Kim » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:19 am

I started typing the following in response to a post made by Allen about rust being such a problem in Cairns QLD. Once I started I thought maybe it would be good info to post here instead as it seems rust never sleeps no matter where in the world you are. I will start off by pasting Allen's post which prompted my response here.

Allen wrote: it is a real pain to have to deal with rust on everything. I've been wanting to get a really good table saw, but they're all cast iron tops and I don't want to spend that much money and have it rust up on me in a matter of weeks. I know there are products that you can put on the metal surfaces to protect them, but all that I've seen have the possibility of contaminating the wood, and turning a really expensive piece of spruce into some scrap.
As I live only a couple of hundred metres from the beach, rust can be a problem for me as well. I have tried lanolin based products, mineral based products, teflon based products, paste waxes and other measures to minimise rust. All were affective to varying degrees but none were that good that I felt I had found an acceptable solution and there was of course the cross contamination concern, especially as some product do contain silicone yet do not tell you so on the label.

Putting it simply, I don't like cleaning and maintaining tools. I don't enjoy rubbing them every week or so with gunk that stinks and wont clean from my hands without washing them in some chemical concoction that stinks even more and will no doubt wind up giving me dermatises or cancer. I don't get enough open time in the shed to spend it scouring and preening tools in a vein attempt to chase away rust. So a few month back, having read some positive reviews a long while ago about the product, I lashed out in yet another attempt to find a workable solution and bought a tin of 'Silver Glide' (SilberGleit) from Northwoods.

http://www.northwoodtools.com.au/produc ... 57&cID=340

So far I have found that Silver Glide works very well at preventing rust and friction, it's a 'dry slip' so there is little chance of contamination, and 1 tin should see your grand kids wondering "what the bloody hell is this stuff" when there picking through your tools shortly after you commence composting :D

Silver Glide goes on like paste wax but is softer, you rub a thin layer 'into' the tool or machine table (handtools like scrapers and planes included), let it dry, and buff it off. It can even be thinned with a little petrol (if you can still afford the stuff) and sprayed into those hard to reach areas like pinions and such.

Once applied, Silver Glide will leave behind a few tiny, tiny weeny flecks of aluminium which will stick like.....tiny, tiny weeny flecks of aluminium to the surface, hence the name SILVER Glide. Whilst I do know that fine aluminium is also used in products like Never-Seez anti-seizing compounds, I would imagine that in this application, it is added to the mix as a wear indicator, eg; when the little flecks have gone, it's time to put more on.

Anyhow, I think this product is very good and well worth letting my good mates here at the ANZLF know about. But aside from Silver Glide, one of the best precautions to protect your tools from rust is to simply cover them with a cotton cloth like an old bed sheet. The thin cotton acts as a buffer, during a 24 hour period it will absorb excessive moisture in those times of higher RH and expel it back into the atmosphere as the ambient RH drops again. A cover will also decrease the flow of oxygen rich air around the tool when it is not in use slowing the effects of oxidation.

A very simple yet very effective measure and I would not be surprised if when used in conjunction with regular applications of Silver Glide, this regime would make rust manageable even in North QLD.

Of course the very best rust preventative of all is frequent use, that's why I bought the Silver Glide :lol:

Cheers

Kim

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:04 pm

Thanks, Kim.

I'll look for some of that. I enjoy cleaning rust off tools as much as you do.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Thanks Kim. I'll give it a go. I't on going on the next order.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:12 pm

Hi kim
After 30 years in central Australia [Alice Springs] I had forgotten what rust was, my machines and tools were shiny as. But since moving to North Queensland 12 years ago it's been a bit of a concern for me too. So I'll be trying your suggestion as well, thanks.
Taff

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:32 pm

Add me to the thank you list Kim. The wet season up here is almost like swimming, up till now i use Inox then have to clean it off before I use the tool. So if this stuff works up here it will save me much time and effort.

Jim

Kim
Admin

Re: Preventing Rust on Tools and Machinery

Post by Kim » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:17 am

Hey here we are nearly 2 years later and I gotta ask, did anyone else here ever get around to trying this stuff?? How did it go for you?

I ended up pulling my little old tablesaw apart and treated the rise and fall mechanism with it after it had become stiff and a PIA to use.. The mechanism is directly below the blade like most saws and dust extraction pulls the majority of the dust straight over the top of the mechanism before it is taken out of the machine. Obviously I needed a dry lube........Pleased to add that in that application Silver Glide 'really' shines. One application and well over a year later all is still smooth and easy.

I think the big tip with application of Silver Glide is to apply it evenly, allow to dry for at least a couple of hours (over night is better) and then buff to leave a hard, slick, shiny film.

Cheers

Kim

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:55 am

Dennis, were you ever able to track some down on our side?

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:27 pm

I found it good for glide Kim but not so great at stopping rust up here, I will try your overnight application method and see if that is a better rust solution.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:34 pm

I've been using Silver Glide. It makes things slippery, but only slows down the rust. Takes constant vigilance up here to keep on top of the rust.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

PHANTOM
Blackwood

Post by PHANTOM » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:47 pm

I gave it a go didnt seem to stop the rust much so went back to the inox method. I can almost throw a rock in the ocean from my shed so rust is a constant worry.
Carpe Diem

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Phuck its the Phantom :D Have not seen you here for a while Wayne, (or is it just me?) nice to see a post from you anyhow.

As for the Silver Glide, I too am a stone throw from the beach, but on a bit of a peninsular so the prevailing is usually coming directly off the land. But like I said I have had pretty good results but I also cover tables with a sheet when not in use. I do recommend that you slap some on the rise and fall of your TS if you have one, it made an incredible difference to mine.

Cheers

Kim