Side bending on a hot pipe demo

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

StratoA
Wandoo

Side bending on a hot pipe demo

Post by StratoA » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:25 pm

Bending sides on a hot pipe can be lots of fun. It's one of my most favorite parts of guitar building. In this 12min video I bend a piece of Spanish Cypress from start to finish using some techniques I've worked out over the last 10 years. Recently I tried to bend some figured Jarah in the same way. It took longer but worked in the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMz2Li6FCZs

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Re: Side bending on a hot pipe demo

Post by lamanoditrento » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:54 am

:cl :cl :cl
You make it look so effortless!
Trent

StratoA
Wandoo

Post by StratoA » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:29 am

Side bending on a hot pipe is about practice and sensitivity to the material. I find when I'm bending I have a window of opportunity to get the shape I'm after as the timber starts to relax but then it will start to harden up if I go too long and I've lost my chance. Secret is if I leave it over night and try again it will be easier the next day than it was as it was hardening up. All timbers are a bit different. I love this part of making where you have to feel your way through. Side benders remove us from that experience!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:39 pm

StratoA wrote:Side bending on a hot pipe is about practice and sensitivity to the material. I find when I'm bending I have a window of opportunity to get the shape I'm after as the timber starts to relax but then it will start to harden up if I go too long and I've lost my chance. Secret is if I leave it over night and try again it will be easier the next day than it was as it was hardening up. All timbers are a bit different. I love this part of making where you have to feel your way through. Side benders remove us from that experience!
And there are the badge of honour burns all up your arm that you cant get with a side bender and a blanket :mrgreen:
Martin

StratoA
Wandoo

Post by StratoA » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:45 pm

I have to admit I have had some minor burns, but I still love bending this way :)

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:32 am

StratoA wrote:Side bending on a hot pipe is about practice and sensitivity to the material. I find when I'm bending I have a window of opportunity to get the shape I'm after as the timber starts to relax but then it will start to harden up if I go too long and I've lost my chance. Secret is if I leave it over night and try again it will be easier the next day than it was as it was hardening up. All timbers are a bit different. I love this part of making where you have to feel your way through. Side benders remove us from that experience!
It's my favourite part of the whole build too, nothing gives me more pleasure than starting with a resistive, straight piece of wood and feeling it 'give' between your hands until it forms a graceful curve. I'm sure if it was a little more common place, the romantic poets would have dedicated poems to the process. I have a set of Ziricote that I've heard can be tricky and problematic to bend without a form and heat blanket so will do those as per the 'mechanical' method but the bending iron will still take pride of place in my shop.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:16 pm

I hand bend everything now, and then pop it on the form to set the shape with a heat blanket. Works a treat on the very tight bends of my ukes.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:57 pm

Allen wrote:I hand bend everything now, and then pop it on the form to set the shape with a heat blanket. Works a treat on the very tight bends of my ukes.
So you pre bend by hand and then put it into a fox style bender to set? I like this idea.

I just bent my 4th set of sides with a blanket and I am never happy with the spring back. I ended up putting the first side back in the bender. So far I have found the best process is to bend as normal, let it cool completely, give it another cook and then leave it at least over night. Otherwise it is difficult to get in the form and there are gaps.
Jeremy D