Nut Slotting

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Nut Slotting

Post by Dave M » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:40 am

I expect everyone else has thought of this but I'll throw it up anyway.

I have found the slotting files tend to start jamming once the slot is getting a bit deep. (I take the top surface of the nut down afterwards.) I remembered my can of dry lubricant, PTFE in this case, and it worked a treat. Might have improved the cutting of the file as well.

It really seems to be a general rule: if something is jamming, getting hard to push etc, there is usually an answer. Like a plane being hard to push, this same lubricant on the sole is wonderful stuff.
------------------
Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Nut Slotting

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:10 am

I run my file through the same piece of candle wax I use for my fret saw.....

Something to watch is splitting out the ends of the nuts while cutting the outside slots....especially if you cut slots first and trim top of nut later.
Martin

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:23 pm

kiwigeo wrote:I run my file through the same piece of candle wax I use for my fret saw.....
I do the same ^ .
Its amazing how much the wax makes a difference. Ever since it was mentioned somewhere here i've been putting it on my plane soles too (for surface's that aren't being glued)..

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:41 pm

Never tried wax,

I never dry cut my nut slots, I have a small container of water and dishwashing liquid next to me and I just dip the file I as I am cutting, you get a small slurry happening at the outer edges of the nut but that just wipes away.

When I'm close to height, then I use a dry file, will give the wax idea a go as well

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html