How I refitted the tailblock...

Got a new way of doing something? Or maybe an old method that needs some clarification.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

How I refitted the tailblock...

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:01 am

Hi, it’s jobs like this that keep the old grey cells working. A customer complained of something banging around inside his flamenco guitar. It turned out to be the tail block, it had somehow come completely detached from the sides.
1.JPG
2.JPG
Getting it out was easy getting it back took some working out, but once I had made up the special clamping system the rest was pretty straightforward. The customer wanted as little done to the guitar as possible so the end result is not what I would have liked, as there were faults in other areas that also needed attention.
As it was a small guitar I was unable to get my hands inside so this was my best approach, which possibly leaves me with another special tool I may never use again. Or I’ll forget what I made it for, that used to happen, thank god digital cameras.
3.JPG
Anyway…
1- Glue the block to the top and back of the guitar only. Feeding in through the open tail end.
2- Push the rod through the hole in the block and attach the inside caul and nut, working through the soundhole.
3- Pull out rod and caul up to the tailblock, fit outside caul and u channel spacer.
4- Apply glue to the block and sides, then tighten up the clamp.
5- Reverse procedure to remove the clamp, then reglue bindings, etc.
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG
16.JPG
17.JPG
18.JPG
19.JPG
Thanks for looking.
Taff
Taff

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: How I refitted the tailblock...

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:49 pm

Nice fix Taff. That guitar looks like it's done a few miles..
Martin

asgilbert
Blackwood

Post by asgilbert » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:30 pm

:cl Thanks Taff, great solution. really appreciate that this group share their experiences with us.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:32 am

Thanks, Martin and Asgilbert, so long as somebody finds it interesting. I enjoy seeing other people's solutions and achievements at different tasks.
Taff
Taff