Where is the best place to buy bandsaw blades in Australia?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

matthew
Blackwood

Re: Where is the best place to buy bandsaw blades in Austral

Post by matthew » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:30 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
matthew wrote:
I'm pleased that all the above posts do rather give us confidence that Henry Bros do their level best to provide Aussie and New Zealand luthiers with fully backed quality goods and services at a reasonable price.
And none of the posters has any affiliation with Henry Brothers which gives me even more confidence. :D
I can't understand how you can know that for sure. But in any case, HBS seems like an excellent candidate for Preferred Vendor status to me.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:35 pm

Well instead of just talking about it how about DOING something about it......ie suggest it to the moderators/admins and it will be considered.
matthew wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:
matthew wrote:
I'm pleased that all the above posts do rather give us confidence that Henry Bros do their level best to provide Aussie and New Zealand luthiers with fully backed quality goods and services at a reasonable price.
And none of the posters has any affiliation with Henry Brothers which gives me even more confidence. :D
I can't understand how you can know that for sure. But in any case, HBS seems like an excellent candidate for Preferred Vendor status to me.
Martin

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:41 pm

liam_fnq wrote:I bought two blades last week on the advice i've seen on this forum. I asked that the package be over night air-bagged to me up in Cairns. I rang this arvo to check when it was sent as it hadn't arrived. The bloke on the phone (can't remember his name :? ) was quite concerned that it hadn't arrived as he sent it friday. I said I'd call tommorrow arvo if it hadn't turned up but he wants to know by lunch time so he can kick some arses.

So all up:
Great service in the first place, I told them what I want to do and they told me what blades I need.

When I called today he could tell me within about 5sec when it has shipped. No on hold, no asking someone else.

He knew when I should have arrived.

And, he was ready to kick some arses at the courier company because I hasn't turned up.

It might not sound like much but I have found this level of service very rare. Pretty much unheard of in Cairns that's for sure.

I'll get back tommorrow with an update.

My blades showed up today. No dramas at all. I kinda knew they would.

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:46 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Well instead of just talking about it how about DOING something about it......ie suggest it to the moderators/admins and it will be considered.
You know very well that I already DID, before I resigned as a moderator of this forum, and someone said that someone they knew had a bad experience with them, but that was all. The suggestion went nowhere. Interestingly, that person now seems very happy with Henry Brothers.

Well I guess people change their minds, and no vendors are perfect. That's all right, as long as grudges don't last too long. We all fuck up from time to time, often things are out of our control, and most of us want to improve how we do business ... vendors included.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:11 pm

matthew wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:Well instead of just talking about it how about DOING something about it......ie suggest it to the moderators/admins and it will be considered.
You know very well that I already DID, before I resigned as a moderator of this forum, and someone said that someone they knew had a bad experience with them, but that was all. The suggestion went nowhere. Interestingly, that person now seems very happy with Henry Brothers.

Well I guess people change their minds, and no vendors are perfect. That's all right, as long as grudges don't last too long. We all fuck up from time to time, often things are out of our control, and most of us want to improve how we do business ... vendors included.
Matthew,

I've checked back through the mods forum and yes you did raise the matter of Henry Bros being awarded PV status. While it didn't go to formal vote there was a discussion on Henry Brothers being awarded PV status and the matter was left open. Of course if you felt that it should have gone to a vote there and then, then you could have pursued the matter.....but you didn't.

Re one of the moderators saying that "someone they knew" had a bad experience with Henry Brothers......the moderator in question actually indicated that the woodworking group of which he is an active member had the bad experience with the vendor in question.

I'll say no more on the matter...

Regards Martin
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:20 pm

I had two 1/4"blades from henry bros fail at the weld, which looked very sloppy.
They repaired the weld free of charge, but it was a pain to have to send it back.
Still, I'l give them another try.

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:55 pm

kiwigeo wrote: I've checked back through the mods forum and yes you did raise the matter of Henry Bros being awarded PV status. While it didn't go to formal vote there was a discussion on Henry Brothers being awarded PV status and the matter was left open. Of course if you felt that it should have gone to a vote there and then, then you could have pursued the matter.....but you didn't.

Re one of the moderators saying that "someone they knew" had a bad experience with Henry Brothers......the moderator in question actually indicated that the woodworking group of which he is an active member had the bad experience with the vendor in question.

Good ... my memory isn't so bad after all. And no point passing the buck back and forth all day.

So ... how about having a little votey then? I can't remember if we are a democracy here or not.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:59 pm

matthew wrote:
kiwigeo wrote: I've checked back through the mods forum and yes you did raise the matter of Henry Bros being awarded PV status. While it didn't go to formal vote there was a discussion on Henry Brothers being awarded PV status and the matter was left open. Of course if you felt that it should have gone to a vote there and then, then you could have pursued the matter.....but you didn't.

Good ... my memory isn't so bad after all. And no point passing the buck back and forth all day.

So ... how about having a little votey then? I can't remember if we are a democracy here or not.
I think we'll leave decisions about the running of the forum to the Adminstrators and moderators.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Bob connor wrote:
I think we'll leave decisions about the running of the forum to the Adminstrators and moderators.
Yes i was surprised martin suggested that i DO something and put a suggestion to you.

unheardofinstruments
Gidgee

Re: Where is the best place to buy bandsaw blades in Australia?

Post by unheardofinstruments » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:11 pm

I bought 3/8th Bahco bimetal for my old South Australian made 1950's? Woodfast 14", they could do the odd size but both broke before they got blunt, the second one quite soon although the first did do a lot of work. HB were waiting for material from the usa to do tungsten in the size i wanted but will go with their bimetals and see if they last better and yes the service and knowhow was wonderful compared to some other suppliers who I had to explain skip toothed blades to: "2525? whaddayagot an old woodfast?" Priceless, ie; price not relevant. Could have saved a lot of phone time if I rang them first.

I am using a sharpened resaw blade on a 36" very old International Boring Company of Brisbane cast monster 3Ph bandsaw and have had my eye on the Woodslicer too as it's replacement and am interested to hear they sound good.
The bang of the blade breaking on the 14" scared me enough to jump high enough to think this nice old blade might not get sharpened again and a good blade is a good thing.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 pm

I get mine from these guys: http://www.sawcity.com.au
They were local to me before i moved, but will courier out blades.
They make them up, so can get practically any length/tpi/width/kerf etc.

Im yet to have one of their blades fail on me - even when i've hit a nail (cut right through it)

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Tonxi wrote
The glass is half full... but I'll have another while your up
Dear optimist and pessimist. While you were both arguing whether the glass was half full or half empty, I drank it! Signed, the Opportunist.
Cheers! Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"