Performax 16/32 Replacement Conveyor

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Performax 16/32 Replacement Conveyor

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:06 am

We replaced the conveyor belt on our Performax 16/32 Drum Sander
about a month ago.

The bloke in the shop suggested we try a rubber conveyor rather than the sandpaper type that originally came with the machine.

It's crap. Won't hold the wood and slips all over the place.

I've spent most of Easter finish sanding Blackwood sets and have done about 35 so far and I've had to hold the wood down on the conveyor belt otherwise it slips. :evil:

There's no difference in the cost of the two - $85

Bob

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:12 am

Thanks for the heads up Bob, I have the same machine so this info is sure to come in handy one day.

Cheers

Kim

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:54 am

That's interesting Bob. I have a 16/32 I purchased from Carba-tec. It came with a grey rubber conveyor belt . It has a criss/cross tiny square raised pattern on it's surface. I haven't had any problems at all with slippage. Of course , I don't use the machine as much as you guys would , and I take very light passes only.

Maybe my belt is different than your replacement one. What does yours look like and where did you get it from ?

Cheers ,Craig

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:10 am

Ours sounds different to yours Craig.

It has an irregular pattern to it.

I'll try and get a pic of it today.

Bob

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:13 am

Does anyone know if the rubber matt is standard now?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:01 am

It's standard on the Carba-tec ones. I would try them Bob ,as I assume their replacements to be the same. Better check their length first though

Cheers , Craig

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:39 pm

My is like yours Craig only white. Never had any problems.
Dom

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:05 pm

Dom, Did you get yours from Carba-tec also ?

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:55 pm

Yep, here in canberra end of 2006.
Dom

ZOOTMAN
ANZLF Approved Supplier

CONVEYOR BELTS

Post by ZOOTMAN » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:50 pm

I know it may not help you guys because of shipping costs but after spending $75 several times on replacement belts for my 22-44 I decided to look for another source. Industrial Abrasives in the US. Bought 2 conveyer belts
the sandpaper ones for $15.95 ea. They work every bit as good as the original. Bob may I suggest a work around? Get some melamine coated MDF board. They sell it here for shelving and cover both sides with 80 grit PSA sandpaer sold in rolls. use it as a carrier board and it won't slip on that rubber belt. The wood won't slip either until the sandpaper wears out.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:32 pm

Good tip on the carrier board Bob.

Cheers

Kim

54toine
Gidgee

Re: Performax 16/32 Replacement Conveyor

Post by 54toine » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:07 pm

I know this is an old topic, but I recently found a company in Western Australia which made me a replacement conveyor belt for my 16/32 drum sander, for $15.40 including GST. As this is my first posting I thought I would start with a good news item, but as I am not sure if I can announce the business name on this Forum, I will wait to be told either way.

My detailed discussions with the company pointed out that they are happy to make to order, and I think they have great pricing. Finally, they can also provide a range of drum sander belts made to your specifications and with whichever grit you want.

Postage from WA became reasonable when I built up the order so that more than one item went into the postage package.

More when assess the situation,
Regards

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:31 pm

We generally prefer an introduction and hearing a little bit about yourself in a first post. Perhaps if you could post up a brief intro we might be more amenable to hearing the name of the company that supplied your belts.....assuming of course that you don't work for them :)
54toine wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:07 pm
I know this is an old topic, but I recently found a company in Western Australia which made me a replacement conveyor belt for my 16/32 drum sander, for $15.40 including GST. As this is my first posting I thought I would start with a good news item, but as I am not sure if I can announce the business name on this Forum, I will wait to be told either way.

My detailed discussions with the company pointed out that they are happy to make to order, and I think they have great pricing. Finally, they can also provide a range of drum sander belts made to your specifications and with whichever grit you want.

Postage from WA became reasonable when I built up the order so that more than one item went into the postage package.

More when assess the situation,
Regards
Martin

54toine
Gidgee

Post by 54toine » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:33 pm

Hi all
In response to Martin asking for an introduction from me, here goes.

I am a 66 year old male retiree, living on the NSW south coast. I’ve been building steel string acoustic guitars for the past twenty years, and am currently working on numbers 23 and 24. I see most of what I’ve done as experimental work, with varying combinations of timbers and differing adjustments to bracing patterns.

I’ve yet to make any real effort to market my output, relying on friends and contacts, but I’ve reached a cash strapped stage where it’s time to make this effort as I only have so much room to stack the guitars in cases.

I once thought I’d get into classical guitars as well, but I realise that’s not going to happen now, so I’ll also be clearing out the resources I’ve bought in the past in that area.

I continue to read heaps in the area, and have built a good reference library together with hundreds, if not thousands of web sites, dealing with all aspects of acoustic design and construction.

If this introduction is accepted, I’d also like to share my good fortune with you all in regard to sourcing sanding (and conveyor) belts, at very reasonable prices from a company with which I have no affiliation at all.

Regards
Tony

asgilbert
Blackwood

Post by asgilbert » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:43 pm

Thanks Tony,
Do you have a contact for these guys in WA?