Various jigs

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

luke_lee
Sassafras

Various jigs

Post by luke_lee » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:14 pm

This year I made a "L1" style guitar and here are some of the jigs used. They all are fairly standard but with some additions. I will add some pics of the guitar to the gallery soon.

See "file comment" for a brief description. Hopefully the pics are self explanation as typing is not my strong suit.
Luke.
Attachments
image.jpg
My dad made a cnc machine at the start of the year, the first project was the template. I used a vee cutter to make out the bracing pattern. It was also used to route the main assembly mould and bender sides.
image.jpg
On dad's cnc machine I made a new back and top radius dish. The rough cut is done and half the finishing cut.
image.jpg
Back radius mould finished.
image.jpg
Side spreader lined in foam. It applies pressure to most of the guitar outline.
image.jpg
Main body assembly mould. I added t-nuts the the face layer of the mould. I then use threaded rod the and a t-nut disc to clamp up the plates with the addition of a glue-up rim
image.jpg
Main body assembly mould with top and back plate glue-up rim. The rim has a strip of foam which aligns with the linings. I put radial saw cuts through the ply to allow the rim to bend to the back contour.
image.jpg
Side bender with interchange moulds. For the moulds I just glue the sheet metal to the ply side, line the inside with thin aluminium sheet. I then put screws through the face into the ply sides so it holds together when heated.
image.jpg
I use a bar heater to heat up my side bender. It was only $15 so cheaper than a light box setup and more appropriate for heating things.
image.jpg
I use this to clamp binding at the waist. Simple but very useful, is was good when cutting them to length and extra pressure when gluing.
image.jpg
This is to do the radius on the finger board. I make a new router base for the radius I need. This is a 300mm radius for ukuleles. It slide along the plywood guides.
image.jpg
I use this as a fret press. Shaped a block of brass to match the required radius, it is also handy for bottling beer.

ckngumbo
Blackwood

Re: Various jigs

Post by ckngumbo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:43 am

Thanks for these photos! I really like the side press and clamping system.
Bob Francis

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:39 am

These are some bloody brilliant tweaks to "well known" tools! :cl :cl :cl

I have wondered many times why people would use light bulbs as a heat source, rather than IR bulbs or some other device designed to heat up things.
LUKE_LEE wrote:File comment: My dad made a cnc machine at the start of the year, the first project was the template. I used a vee cutter to make out the bracing pattern. It was also used to route the main assembly mould and bender sides.
Could you please lend me your dad for, let's say the time he needs to build me a CNC machine? :idea: :mrgreen:

Congrats Luke! (regarding both, your jigs and your dad).
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:57 am

Some good work there, I had never thought about using a strip heater as a heat source, makes perfect sense really.

Cheer

Col

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Some smart thinking there, Luke, and a very nice guitar, too.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi Luke....Nice jigging there..... :D
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot