Nut Compensation Calculation?

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Nut Compensation Calculation?

Post by Dennis Leahy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:36 am

I heard a rumor that there is a formula (spreadsheet?) for "guesstimating" the amount of nut compensation (and I assume also to determine the final compensation at the saddle, after nut compensation.)

I suppose a test-jig would get pretty close, but with formulas, you could *start* with the nut and saddle compensation close, then tweak it from there.

Variables would be scale length, type (composition) of string, gauge of string, and string action height (would just knowing what string action you want at the 12th fret be enough for this variable?)

Trevor or Gerard, does a formula/spreadsheet exist?

Thanks,

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Nut Compensation Calculation?

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:15 pm

(loud spooky music in the background)

Buuuuuuuuuy the Boooooooooooks!!!!!!! :D
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:21 pm

I don't know whether you have the books or not, Dennis, but that's where all the formulae are (Black Book, Section 4.7). I go through about half a dozen different methods of doing nut and saddle compensation, from "quick and dirty" methods, requiring little by way of maths, that still give a better result than saddle-only compensation, to the full 9 yards using numerical optimisation techniques. The hardest part is modeling the fretboard shape (relief) so that it corresponds to the way we normally measure it.

Regarding spreadsheets, I don't supply one for intonation calcs. Anyone with the capabilities to use mine would probably prefer to write their own!

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:36 pm

OK, thanks. Just thought I'd ask.
Another damn Yank!