Australian Guitar Tonewood - And we're live!!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Australian Guitar Tonewood - And we're live!!

Post by J.F. Custom » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi all.

Well, I've a late night special announcement to make -

Australian Guitar Tonewood is online and open for business 8)

You can find it here -

http://www.australianguitartonewood.com

This is the shop that has been alluded to in other previous posts. Given some of the recent discussion, I should also point out that I have indeed gone through all the proper channels before posting this information here! And I'm not asking for any of your money to do this, unless of course, you wish to purchase something, in which case, I will :wink: Thanks goes to the mighty Bob and his posse of capable compadres for their support.

So it's probably just as well no one explained to me just how much work would be involved in creating a shop like this, before I launched into it. :lol: Every spare moment of the past five months have been creating the backbone of this shop. Getting it to look and function as I wanted was, an interesting learning curve... That's before processing timber to populate it with. I'm happy to say it should be fully functional now, with secure Paypal payments and Australia Post calculations on the fly. Of course, I've learnt that it is unlikely things go 100% smoothly and surely there will be some bugs or glitches that require ironing out. Please bare with me while I work through any issues, if they do in fact arise. And then, perhaps they won't :wink:

My aim was to offer the largest variety of quality Australian timbers, milled specifically for musical instrument construction, in one shop. I wanted it to be the best possible online timber shopping experience in this industry. I wanted clear examples of what you were buying, so you could be confident in your purchase - the next best thing to buying in person. Sounds easy right?! :shock: I wanted to do all this because it is what I would have loved access to in my early building days!! The same way I reflect on the internet in general these days...

This business actually had it's roots in a good seven or more years ago, when initial planning and discussions took place. Other commitments took precedent and so the online shop took a back seat until the beginning of this year. I'm very happy to have it up and running now. The shop is not about volumes and often items listed will be one off or very limited quantities - so if there is something you like, buy it because it may not reappear for a while! Staples include Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon) and Gidgee (Acacia cambagei), but there will be many more species listed over time - many of which it is likely you have not crossed before. There is plenty of great rare and unusual timber in the pipeline to be processed and it will be listed as it becomes available in the coming months, so check back in to find new stock regularly.

You can sign up as a customer and for a mail out list, which I will endeavour to maintain when new exciting developments occur etc. There is also a blog in the shop where I intend to write about different timber species, interesting trees, harvesting, processing or even aspects of building. I would like to feature customers work in time and longer term, I hope to branch out to other products in the shop, perhaps including some luthiery services such as fret slotting on our exotic fretboard range... Might as well dream big right?

Finally, I'd just like to say that a business like this really does rely on word of mouth to gain a foothold. I don't frequent social media or other forums so I'd be more than happy for any of you to mention it on social media, blogs, forums or the like, should you feel like helping. The better the business grows, the more I will be able to expand on the offerings - which benefit us all.

I'd be happy to answer any questions and if you have feedback of any sort (constructive!), I'd really appreciate your suggestions or comments.

Thanks all and I hope you enjoy the shop!

Cheers, :gui

Jeremy.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Re: Australian Guitar Tonewood - And we're live!!

Post by needsmorecowbel » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:20 pm

Nice work Jeremy really nice and clean and well executed/ simple layout!

p.s I reckon your Satin box would make a nice uke (taps like a bell)!
Last edited by needsmorecowbel on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:21 pm

Well done Jeremy.
you will no doubt be getting some orders from me.
If you need anyhelp withthe store or social media get in touch - I own an online marketing agency.

good luck
steve

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:39 pm

That's the best news Ive heard all day!!
Martin

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:40 pm

:D :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl
Paul .

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:01 pm

Well done Jeremy, I hope it's a real winner for you.
Wayne

GregL
Blackwood

Post by GregL » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:05 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Congratulations on the shop and the website!
Hope it goes well for you!

Thanks,
GregL.

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:04 am

Great job. Nice pics, easy to navigate. All the best
Miguel

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:50 am

Congrats to both Pete and yourself on finally getting the online store front up.

On mobile it was a bit 1990's to navigate, with the drop downs, I'm yet to visit it on a desktop.

I find the timber section at LMI to be one of the most user friendly. Once you get past their annoying drop down list and into the actual icon based store front.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing this evolve along with the growth of your business.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:03 am

Welcome aboard and good luck with the new business Jeremy.

I'd like to inform everyone that we have decide to afford Jeremy preferred vendor status for his new venture.

Good luck with it. I'm sure it will be a success.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:37 am

I just jumped on the site on my desktop and it is a MUCH better presentation than the mobile site.

One observation though, my peerblocker blocked the website, apparently it's hosted by "Theplanet.com" which I had to override the block to visit. Anyone who doesn't run peerblocking software to protect themselves wouldn't notice this.

RobDyball
Myrtle

Post by RobDyball » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:40 am

Gift registry = genius

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:54 pm

RobDyball wrote:Gift registry = genius
Don't get your hopes up buddy :mrgreen:
Martin

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks very much gents for all the feedback, support and encouragement. It's appreciated :wink:

First orders are through and the site seems to be operating as my testing suggested it should. 8) Seems the consensus here and by email is that the site is relatively easy to use (navigate, view items etc) and clean, so that's a tick toward that goal.

Special thanks to those from here that have ordered and those that have signed up for accounts, mail outs etc. :cl

@allan - thanks for those insights. I have little control over the way the software resizes ("responsive") to suit the various mobile devices people use these days, except to say that it will do so in varied ways determined by the device size etc, which is still better than if it did nothing at all! I did make sure it was all functional on my phone, but couldn't imagine trying to use that in any serious way to browse timbers and place orders. But that's me! The primary layout focus was for PC/Mac viewing. Thanks for the heads up about your block though - something I will check into, though it seems limited to just yourself at present.

I'll add more stock this week and next, filling out with some more species and some missing products such as bridges, bindings etc. Plenty more overall in the medium future too...!! I hope you like the current listings and still welcome all feedback.

A final special thanks to Bob and co. for their offer of "Preferred Vendor" status, which I gladly accept. 8)

Cheers again,

Jeremy.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:39 pm

Pretty cool looking website Jeremy and I'm sure Aussie luthiers will be glad of your service,i didn't see any section with a heading for archtops! Do you intend to include these as a standard item or will builders have to order these thicker sets as a special run?

Cheers

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:17 pm

Ah Rod, I haven't forsaken you!

In time I intend to list arch top materials, including mandolins etc.

When starting a business however, I must prioritise the majority market first, before I can branch into the various other arms of Luthierie. Or work with the materials at hand and what they dictate the piece to be milled into. It will happen though.

On the other hand, and this goes for any readers, certainly if you are ever chasing anything in particular - drop me an email. There is always going to be stock that has yet to be listed or fully processed, so if something fits your needs, it can be custom milled ahead of 'regular processing', or pre-ordered you could say.

In any case, sign up!! That way, I can give you a heads up when that sort of stock may hit the shelves.

Hope this helps and thanks for the compliment. :wink:

Jeremy.

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:06 am

Nice Prices and stock I wish you luck ,Guitar show in Aug at Caulfield they tell me that would be a good spot to advertise.:)
John ,of way too many things to do.

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:59 pm

My order was posted yesterday and it arrived today, wish it was like that with everything. Thanks Jeremy.
Wayne

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:40 pm

56nortondomy wrote:My order was posted yesterday and it arrived today, wish it was like that with everything. Thanks Jeremy.
Wayne
Jeremy obviously doesn't use Australia Post then :?
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:45 am

Congratulations Jeremy, hope the new adventure in life brings you guys every success. :cl :cl
And a nice easy site to navigate too!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:49 am

Congratulations Jeremy, and all the best for this new venture.
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

Cloverfield
Kauri

Post by Cloverfield » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:58 am

Good looking website, congrats!

:cl

Any plans to stock solid body blanks?
~~~Simon

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:27 pm

Hi again fellow luthiers.

@routout (sorry, unsure of your name) thanks for your compliments and suggestion. 8)

@56nortondomy - Cheers Wayne! Glad to hear it arrived safely and thanks for jumping in with an early order. Let me know if I can help you further. Enjoy!

@kiwigeo - ah on the contrary Martin. Australia Post is currently the only option I offer. This is primarily because they are one of the only services I can incorporate a calculator for, that calculates freight in 'real time' during checkout. I don't like having to submit an order, then wait for a freight quote a day or two later, before I can finalise the payment and have the goods shipped - such as LMII used to do. The whole process can take a week! On top of this, to be honest, after dealing with many freight companies over the last 15 years, I can't say any are more reliable. I've had issues with all of the regular services, some of them defy all reasonable logic. I guess it just comes down to the individual delivery person. That said, some of those companies also require hefty monthly turnovers if you want to have an account with them too... Not very likely in this business model! So Aus Post Regular or Express it is. :wink:

@nick - Hey nick, nice to hear from you!! You realise shipping across that little ditch would not present any problems! :D Mmmm, Blackwood... Gidgee... You know you want to :twisted:

@clancy - Cheers Craig. Appreciate the support, but most of all, I hope others get to try some of the seriously amazing timbers we have in this country.

@cloverfield - Thanks Simon! And yes, solid body blanks will be listed in time. There are some drying presently...

Thanks for those that have provided feedback and suggestions too. I really appreciate your time and I'm happy to hear from anyone with something to say.

Otherwise, sign up peoples! I'll give a heads up when some more new stock is listed shortly.

Jeremy

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:36 am

I do have a small custom order in mind Jeremy, but I have to work out sizes etc. When I'm ready to go i'll email you through AGT and see if it's possible.
Wayne

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:16 pm

Sounds good Wayne! Let me know when you're ready and we'll see if we can't sort you out. 8)

More new stock is imminent...

Jeremy.