the 3000 yr old ancient sitka

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Alaska Splty Woods

the 3000 yr old ancient sitka

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:24 pm

postedd to our facebook page this afternoon.
https://www.facebook.com/AlaskaSpecialt ... =3&theater

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Re: the 3000 yr old ancient sitka

Post by J.F. Custom » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:41 pm

Hmm...

It's a shame you left your camera settings on monochrome... :? :lol:

Stunning stuff 8)

Jeremy.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:06 am

Is there any tonal benefit to ancient Sitka over "freshly" cut (i.e. cut in the last 5 years say) or is it just the 'collectable/rarity' factor of having a 3000 year old soundboard on your guitar? Not trying to tread on toes or be difficult, but if I'm trying to convince somebody 'down under' to spend that much just on the soundboard alone! When I'm standing there with the ancient Sitka and a modern set side by side discussing options with a customer I'd need to have some pretty solid reasons, one way or the other, to convince them to part with some serious money when the other set is a tenth of the price. Either it is because of it's rarity or it does indeed have magical tonal properties.
I can see why there is that price tag on it, it's not everyday you get Spruce that old (a similar situation to our Ancient Kauri), but then not everybody is like me and can appreciate why something could have that sort of value attached to it. I have a hard enough job convincing them why my guitars cost more than the Korean one hanging up in the local music shop as it is! :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Alaska Splty Woods

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:36 am

I cannot address it's benefit by tone. I don't know. It is true that mineralization of iron and other has permeated the wood for 3 millennium. And it may be the rarest pc of sitka ever shown to the world and ever will.
When "the tree" mahogany first hit the market, it was sold at about $20/bdft and there was 15,000 bdft of it. and now one can see it fetching $3000/bdft. When Angella from Bedell/Breedlove/Weber was here a couple weeks ago. I cut a chunk and could not believe how far off of VG boards were coming that were still very stiff. Like 30+ degrees.. Like a hardwood. and it was/is soaking wet, saturated. Which generally makes wood more pliable and flexible. I guess it's stuff for the customer with money and a desire for one of a kind in the world rare.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:53 pm

When I describe the tone to clients, I tell them it's more akin to a hardwood soundboard. Now that's fairly common in ukulele circles, but not in guitars.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:40 pm

@Brent - Might be an obvious question, but are your prices in $CAD (Canadian dollars)? Apologies if this is listed somewhere - I could not find it.

Interesting comment Allen. I take it the iron and minerals is has soaked in has hardened it up somewhat. I wonder what has really occurred in it's structure on the micro level. Did you also find it more brittle, hard or difficult to work than typical spruce? I was surprised to read it oxidises that colour from cream, after cutting. For some reason I'd assumed that was it's solid colour as extricated from the mud.

Jeremy.

Alaska Splty Woods

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:16 am

Alaska is one of the 50 US States. So US$'s

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:27 am

I haven't found it to be brittle at all. In fact I'd say that the structure would be better described as homogenous, in that there is less difference between the summer and winter growth.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:14 am

Thanks for the answer Brent, just got to talk people into it now :wink: :D Would love to build one using this, Allen's 'ancient topped' Ukes always look great when it's used. Do you know of any builders that have used this timber and would have pictures up (I tried accessing your gallery but it came back that it couldn't find it on that server) ?
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

scripsit
Myrtle

Post by scripsit » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:59 am

Slash, ex Guns and Roses, commissioned a guitar with ancient sitka top and quilted mahogany from 'the tree'.

http://symphontreemusic.com/gallery/slashs-tree-guitar/

Kind of ugly, in my opinion.

Kym

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:34 am

scripsit wrote:Slash, ex Guns and Roses, commissioned a guitar with ancient sitka top and quilted mahogany from 'the tree'.

http://symphontreemusic.com/gallery/slashs-tree-guitar/

Kind of ugly, in my opinion.

Kym
Yeah I agree...and the guitar is pretty ugly too :mrgreen:
Martin

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Not very cheap.

Steve

Herr Dalbergia
Gidgee

Post by Herr Dalbergia » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:14 am

The wood used for Slash´s guitar is very nice, but the layout and design of the bridge kills the complete guitar...jezzzz how ugly is this bridge? looks very poor....

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:59 am

Herr Dalbergia wrote:The wood used for Slash´s guitar is very nice, but the layout and design of the bridge kills the complete guitar...jezzzz how ugly is this bridge? looks very poor....
The bridge looks like a chocolate Freddo Frog after it's been dropped onto hot pavement....
Martin

Alaska Splty Woods

Post by Alaska Splty Woods » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:26 am

Spoke to Rueban yesterday. He met with Slash Monday to discuss another project he and I have underway. Anyway, Slash loves the guitar. Writes songs with it, and plans to record an acoustic song with it, in the next album.. Make a customer who has $25,000 to spend on a guitar Happy, and earn a few extra pennies too.

I wish now, as my son told me yesterday, we should have not burned the rood wad. Just think of all the neat turning blanks and other products we could have produced from that. Heavy roots and all.