Electrostatic Pick Guard Material

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Electrostatic Pick Guard Material

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:43 pm

A friend visited me overnight and had an interesting pickguard. LMI among others sell these, but by the time one gets one from the US here to Aus, the cost is high. These style pick guards are removable, and it is not recommended that they be left on Nitrocellulose finishes, but rather be removed and replaced each time the instrument is played. Ok to leave on a polyeurethane two pak and others. Will even stick to French Polish and semi gloss finishes, but any finish that breathes or off gasses it is recommended to remove/replace each use.They can be washed, and cling on to the guitar electrostatically. It occured to me that the same or similar material is used on iPad, tablet and phone screens, so today I bought an iPad screen protector, which was big enough to make three pickguards, around $19 from a Telstra shop. Works a treat, the thickness of the film is 0.11mm on my thickness guage.
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

routout
Blackwood

Re: Electrostatic Pick Guard Material

Post by routout » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:15 am

That's a great I Idea and I guess that is what they are using I think you have to take it off because it has a coating on it,I saw a guitar that had a sticker on it and it looked like it discolored the wood but I believe the wood around it changed.Just a thought it would be nice not to have a schtuk on one there . :D
John ,of way too many things to do.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:52 pm

The only problem with them are the bubbles that are hard to smooth out, but from a distance you don't notice them.The advantage is you can cut custom shapes from the iPad ones. If you have ever removed a stuck pick guard from a guitar there is always discoloration, or the wood/finish underneath is lighter...probably due to two things, a reaction of some sort, and the fact that uv isn't getting through, so the finish would tend to darken slower with age, I suspect.. Also many finishes breathe, nitro off gasses for years as well. I have noticed two things re the iPad plastic-incredibly thin but still quite good scratch protection. I put the whole uncut iPad screen protector on the lower bout of my soundboard, and didn't notice a radical change in the tone. So a small pickguard made of the same material has a negligible acoustic effect in my opinion. I also feel that with a lot of modern creative rosette designs, a traditional tortoise, black, wood veneer or coloured pickguard detracts from the aesthetic of the rosette design. Clear and simple looks good in many cases. I have used the clear stick on permanent guards that are available, but it isn't easy to get a good clean edge on the guard for some reason due to the glue used. I have heard of people using thinners to glue clear pickguards on but have never done it.
Unfortunately, I didn't measure the thickness of the commercial electrostatic guard when my friend had it here...we were too busy playing our guitars!
The one he had can be purchased from LMI and was called a "Klingon"...there are other brands available as well. Good on a classical when using a pick..eg for some jazz styles. They also make one for flamenco players with two guards either side of the strings. The iPad material I bought is a matt finish, which I also like.
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:31 pm

I have found out that the Klingon guards are a product called PEK (Polyetherketone) with a silicone coating on the adhesive side-so they should be inert. I suspect that the iPad ones are the same technology, but haven't been able to research yet.Off gassing and any moisture breathing out through a thin shellac finish would probably be the issue with finish damage if the guards were left in place. That could possibly happen with glued on guards as well.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:25 pm

I may be over-worrying but I try and keep anything with silicone in it away from my guitars. If you ever end up having to re-finish or touch up a top you're going to have problems.
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:23 pm

Well I think it's a silicone coating of sorts. Trying to google more info. Does anybody have an opinion regarding the best way to apply a clear pickguard and what material to use?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:03 pm

To be honest...I don't generally put pick guards on my guitars.
Martin

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:00 pm

Well this is great I was needing something I could make a custom pick guard from. Was thinking of using an old thin ohp (overhead projector) sheet. The tablet protector will work a treat for my purpose see my post pick guard glue. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Note: With the tablet protectors (ipad,android etc) you can get thicker glass like ones that I use on my tablet they apply the same as the thinner ones. They tend to crack when removed (may crack when cutting these). I assume you used the thinner regular type. I have seen people at the mobile shop apply screen protectors without air bubbles in them. It's all in the way you apply them and using the right tools. There are videos showing how to do this. May apply to using them on a guitar surface too.
Just a simple musician who plays for fun and enjoymet here.

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:45 am

blackalex1952 wrote:It occured to me that the same or similar material is used on iPad, tablet and phone screens, so today I bought an iPad screen protector, which was big enough to make three pickguards, around $19 from a Telstra shop. Works a treat, the thickness of the film is 0.11mm on my thickness guage.
I brought a phone screen the back was not sticky so did not work. Asked at local mobile shop for sticky backed screen protector said they don't sell them. Maybe she did not understand what I meant?
Where did you get your stuff and what brand would help thanks.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:08 pm

I think I bought mine at Harvey Norman or Officeworks. For a more permanent solution, you can get clear self adhesive polycarb from Wheeler Custom Luthierie.
https://guitarwoods.com.au/catalog/prod ... o77n7qtc12
I recommend that you get the shape right if you use the self adhesive stuff before sticking it on. It's tricky to remove.
Attachments
IMG_5908.JPG

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:49 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:I think I bought mine at Harvey Norman or Officeworks. For a more permanent solution, you can get clear self adhesive polycarb from Wheeler Custom Luthierie.
I recommend that you get the shape right if you use the self adhesive stuff before sticking it on. It's tricky to remove.
Thanks for that, think I would start with the screen protector. Don't think we have office works in New Zealand.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:09 am

mickeyj4j wrote:Thanks for that, think I would start with the screen protector. Don't think we have office works in New Zealand.
Warehouse Stationary should have something similar I would imagine Mickey.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:04 pm

Noticed allot of tablet and phone screen protectors don't have a sticky surface. Tried some not good results reluctant on trying more.

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:56 am

blackalex1952 wrote:I think I bought mine at Harvey Norman or Officeworks. For a more permanent solution, you can get clear self adhesive polycarb from Wheeler Custom Luthierie.
Ok this is an Australian website. Do they sell to New Zealand or is there a local supplier would Be Good to find out.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:43 pm

mickeyj4j wrote:
Ok this is an Australian website. Do they sell to New Zealand or is there a local supplier would Be Good to find out.
I doubt think NZ has enough luthiers to support even one luthier supply businesses.....most Australian suppliers will post across the ditch but check with them if youre not sure.
Martin

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:56 pm

mickeyj4j wrote:
Hi mickey,
I have ordered heaps of stuff from oz, most will send to nz. The postage always seems exorbitant but if you can't get it here then you are stuck. A bit of googling should tell you whether or not you can get it here. Often you can get stuff from makers ex factory if you don't want much, most will be helpful especially if you are doing something unusual with their product.

If all else fails try an email to Dave Olds of Olds Guitars in Otago. You will find him on the web. I know he uses clear pick guards. I'm sure he would happy to tell you where he gets them.

Good luck.
Richard

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:02 pm

Here you go

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/pickguards ... clear.html

These guys say they are in Kapiti but I think most of the stock is in Qld, but who cares?

Cheers
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:06 pm

seeaxe wrote:Here you go

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/pickguards ... clear.html

These guys say they are in Kapiti but I think most of the stock is in Qld, but who cares?

Cheers
Might make more sense just to order it from an Aussie supplier...cut out the middleman??
Martin