Transferring the Gilet/Gore books j45 bracing dims to 000/OM size body

You can ask questions here about Trevor and Gerard's exciting new book on Luthiery.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

TomFisher
Gidgee

Transferring the Gilet/Gore books j45 bracing dims to 000/OM size body

Post by TomFisher » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Hi there,

I'm currently on my second build, and am wondering how the books j45 bracing instructions transfer to the smaller body shape.

I'm working off a plan supplied by one of the bigger online retailers (sorry I haven't read the forum guidelines regarding naming suppliers) which is standard x bracing, with parallel tone bars.

The bracing I used are 7.5mm wide. I apexed? and tapered the braces per the instructions. The x brace sits around 13 or 14mm. The measurements from the sides to the start of the outside scallop are per the book. They've been rounded off a little from a light sanding.

I have two main questions;

- Having measured in from the sides per the book, will this translate to the the outer scallops being too far in? I.e with a smaller body shape the measurements in from the sides should be shorter
- if this is not an issue, can I reduce the mass of the tone bars because the body is smaller. Pretty sure my scale length is 24.9.

Thanks,
Tom.

Photos
-Back, cross braces have been sanded a little lower since this pic.
-top, pre assembly with sides
-top ang sides, joined
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

TomFisher
Gidgee

Re: Transferring the Gilet/Gore books j45 bracing dims to 000/OM size body

Post by TomFisher » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:03 pm

And the back.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:43 pm

Tom; Firstly, thanks for buying the books. The intent of the books is to equip YOU with the capabilities required to enable YOU to make the assessment of someone else's design that you are requesting ME to do for you.

The relevant methodologies are contained in Design Sections 4.4 and 4.5. If you have trouble applying those methods, I'll give you a hand as far as I can, but if you are to learn anything you need to have a shot first by yourself. If you get your first shot wrong, that's OK. It's all part of the learning process, but you need to take a shot at it.

yakka
Myrtle

Post by yakka » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:27 pm

How did you go?
:gui