The Questions We Never Ask

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

The Questions We Never Ask

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:11 pm

I'm currently in the process of getting a will done. My wife asked the question....."What exactly do I do with all the stuff in your workshop"?.

For those of you with a substantial amount of tools and machinery and a decent sized stash of wood...what provision have you made for disposal of same should you die before your partner does??
Martin

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Re: The Questions We Never Ask

Post by Steve.Toscano » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:28 pm

I can answer your Wife's question: donate it the users of anzlf..... :lol:

While i dont have a will, i told the other half to give my handtools and wood to my nephew - who is currently showing a keen interest guitar.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:42 pm

Steve.T wrote:I can answer your Wife's question: donate it the users of anzlf..... :lol:

While i dont have a will, i told the other half to give my handtools and wood to my nephew - who is currently showing a keen interest guitar.
LOL......I was expecting the first comment from someone :mrgreen:

No living relatives with the slightest interest in woodwork.....
Martin

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:53 pm

Every piece of timber we have in stock has a code on it. The code can be converted to the original cost price including transport, if you know the simple formula. A second set of digits determines the date. Combined they become an inventory number. Easy enough to know everything at a glance.

Machinery, well, Just find the receipt. Tools, are the smallest part of the mix.

My goal this year is to have a team that can run the entire business if I'm no longer able to work. So hopefully everything continues on rather than goes to auction. :D

Fisherman
Blackwood

Post by Fisherman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:58 pm

Haha by sheer coincidence I was considering the same question yesterday when I finally sat set aside a couple of hours and drafted out my Will. During my lunch break a car didn't stop at a pedestrian crossing I was on...and while I saw it early enough and stopped walking... it made me contemplate the what-if question soon after while eating my ham and cheese bagel.

My wife doesn't know much about machinery or tools, but she does stand to inherit a fair bit of it if I die first. At this stage the main item she knows about is the dust extractor... or to be more precise that it becomes a dust blower if the bag comes loose.. and that it takes just a couple of minutes to coat the contents of the entire garage in a layer of dust should that happen... f#%*!). Perhaps I need to do up a bit of a list of what's there and stash it away in a file somewhere... at least the machinery anyway.

There's a few local luthiers around here. So she'd probably contact them and they'd probably get first dibs on the good stuff and the wood stash I guess... lucky buggers. Maybe I shouldn't be saving up the best wood for those future special projects!

If we both die, the executor can work it out.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:58 am

Very useful comments from everyone thanks. An inventory of my wood stash is on the list of things to do....a herculean task but my wife (hopefully) will thank me for it.
Martin

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:18 am

I still have my 1993 Zebrano back to use and a year or two later I found a board for the sides :lol: then there are the 100 odd species of short bits ranging form 100 mm long to 300 mm plus not to mention the sliced stuff ready to go :D David Pool a wood seller from a while ago said to me one day It's for using not for stock so use it or don't buy it (he was rite)Once it's gone I will have made stuff for me for whomever it is done easy.?
John ,of way too many things to do.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:49 pm

I tried to get my business there last year Perry but had to move some people on when the numbers magically fell. It's a great way to get unpopular.

As for the zoot it's going to the local Men's Shed
make mine fifths........

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:32 pm

Great question!
I have talked to my wife about that very thing when we had our will drawn up a few years ago.
I have a few local friends here in Townsville who are ANZLF forum members and they would help my wife sort it out.
Mine is not a big stash but there is enough to build 25 guitars and half of it is real good stuff.
I also have a 14 year old and a 16 year old guitar student both great lads and both are building ukuleles with me.
Fingers crossed if one of them really takes to the hobby I will adjust the will accordingly.
The inventory is a must and all the wood needs a date purchased and price paid in pencil.
That's what I have organised anyway.
Cheers
Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:25 pm

There's a few local luthiers around here. So she'd probably contact them and they'd probably get first dibs on the good stuff and the wood stash I guess... lucky buggers. Maybe I shouldn't be saving up the best wood for those future special projects!
I must keep in touch with your wife Pete :D :D
Bruce Mc.

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Its interesting to note that we all expect our wives to outlive us !!!
Ken

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Crafty Fox wrote:Its interesting to note that we all expect our wives to outlive us !!!
Unfortunately it's a fact that life expectancy for women is greater than for men....
Martin

dsgoen
Gidgee

Post by dsgoen » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:42 am

Crafty Fox wrote:Its interesting to note that we all expect our wives to outlive us !!!
Well, yeah, especially when they find out how much we spent on all of this lutherie stuff....

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:41 pm

dsgoen wrote:
Well, yeah, especially when they find out how much we spent on all of this lutherie stuff....
There are many ways to minimize this ever present hazard. Carbatec here in Adelaide help me out by packing all my purchases into plain blue plastic bags (no Woodie logos on the outside etc). My workshop has a door opening into the garage so I can drive straight into the garage and quickly transfer any spoils straight to the workshop before the boss realizes I'm home :mrgreen:
Martin

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:21 am

"This old thing? I've had it for ages."
"It looks brand new."
"That's because I look after it well."
:wink:
Miguel

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:52 am

Miguel is that you wife your referring to :D Oh your machinary ,My son how long have you had that Me where have you been Son. :lol:
John ,of way too many things to do.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:58 am

sebastiaan56 wrote: As for the zoot it's going to the local Men's Shed
That's actually a pretty good idea.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:46 am

lauburu wrote:"This old thing? I've had it for ages."