Sending veneer to Oz

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nkforster
Blackwood

Sending veneer to Oz

Post by nkforster » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:04 am

I was planning on sending some veneer to a pal in the trade, not a great deal of the stuff - a package about 85cm x 45cm x 10 cm. Been looking at the Australia customs page and it all looks rather complicated, anyone had any experience of bringing veneer into the country, either commercially or non commercially?

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Sending veneer to Oz

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:27 am

nkforster wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:04 am
I was planning on sending some veneer to a pal in the trade, not a great deal of the stuff - a package about 85cm x 45cm x 10 cm. Been looking at the Australia customs page and it all looks rather complicated, anyone had any experience of bringing veneer into the country, either commercially or non commercially?
Shouldn't be too difficult Nick as long as there's no bark on the stuff and you clearly state what it is on the paperwork. I've had top wood shipped in from Canada and US over the years and I can only remember one shipment actually being opened and inspected.
Martin

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:14 pm

I have had several veneer imports by post from both India and America, with no customs or quarantine issues. The Indian packages were large, several kilos, and very rustically packed, but seem to have excited no interest by the Australian authorities. This was about 6 years ago, so things may have changed, but I suspect not.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:26 pm

As long as it's clean and dry with no bugs or bark it might get opened for inspection, but will breeze through.

I just bought back 23kg of Flame Maple in my luggage from Canada. Declared it all at Customs and got pulled aside for an inspection. The fellow doing that was right into accoustic guitars, so he was over the moon looking at all the timbre and chatting. Sent me on my way saying it was the best thing he'd seen all week. And asked me for my business card. :)
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Allen wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:26 pm
As long as it's clean and dry with no bugs or bark it might get opened for inspection, but will breeze through.

I just bought back 23kg of Flame Maple in my luggage from Canada. Declared it all at Customs and got pulled aside for an inspection. The fellow doing that was right into accoustic guitars, so he was over the moon looking at all the timbre and chatting. Sent me on my way saying it was the best thing he'd seen all week. And asked me for my business card. :)
Which episode of Border Patrol? :)
Martin

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:28 am

If it has no bark, no rot, no evidence of insect activity (e.g. borer holes) and it is not rosewood, it should be fine.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:00 am

So marking the customs ticket - "Kiln-dried hardwood veneer" Would that be enough? Or should I be more specific about the species?

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:21 am

When I've had timber sent to me, they never specify the species.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:26 pm

Allen wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:21 am
When I've had timber sent to me, they never specify the species.
Shane Neiffer used to just put down "Guitar Woods" on the forms...
Martin

Jonny
Wandoo

Post by Jonny » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:07 am

nkforster wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:00 am
So marking the customs ticket - "Kiln-dried hardwood veneer" Would that be enough? Or should I be more specific about the species?
"flooring samples" work for me at least 20-25 times

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:08 pm

On the subject of veneers, i think that in the not too distant future i'll be looking at sourcing some veneer for my veneer /Nomex project, so if anyone has any info on reputable suppliers of quality veneers that can be recommended it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:35 am

I've only had customs hold timber once.

It was a pile of quilt maple sets and one set had a little bit of bark on the edge, so customs quarantined and charged me for treatment. They say it takes a month however the process held the timber up for around three months. I can't remember the exact cost however it was around $100.00.

They also never repackaged the sets, instead they took the pile and packing taped with a simple X and then their stickers on them, so when the timber arrived to me it was delivered as raw wood with no packaging, I was very annoyed.