Silky Oak Classical Parlour

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Silky Oak Classical Parlour

Post by lamanoditrento » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi All,

Here is my 3rd guitar, which I recently strung up in the nick of time for an anniversary prezzie for my wife. It is my first solo build although; I do owe a lot of thanks to Andrew Armstrong and forum members for a lot of advice along the way. My wife has had some netball injuries over years to her fingers and struggles a bit with barre chords. So the idea was for a smaller guitar, with a shorter scale length and connical fretboard. It is roughly based on Courtnell’s ‘Torres 2’ plans.

As an anniversary present, I have put a lot of bling on it (I am sure some would say too much), including rose gold side dots made from off cuts/filings left over from making my wife’s wedding ring. Pretty sure the #4 will have absolutely no shell on it.

I learned (sometimes re-learned) a lot of lessons, including a new appreciation of how much ebony and spruce don’t get along. A fair amount of stuff ups including upside down Spanish heel wedges, strings riding pegs, 3 sides bent, ca stains on spruce, plus many more. Such a good time though.

The sound is surprising woody and full of sustain. I am pretty happy with the result although not sure I like the planetary friction pegs – so weird to tune having to push in at the same time and I think 1:4 ratio is so low

The specs are:
Top: Engelmann spruce
B&S, headstock & rosette: Northern Silkyoak
Inlay: Miles of paua & touch of rose gold
Neck: QLD Mahogany
Fretboard: Ebony
Bridge: ebonised Black Wattle
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0094.jpg
Trent

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Silky Oak Classical Parlour

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Wow! That is really a stunning piece of work. First I just looked at the pictures - and there is a lot to take in. You have really got a nice theme going there with the longitudinal lines in the fingerboard, end graft, backstrip and neck lamination. Then I read this....
"rose gold side dots made from off cuts/filings left over from making my wife’s wedding ring".
I think that really takes the prize for custom ornamentation. And did you make the wedding ring too? She must feel pretty special.
The silky oak has a real rose gold hue to match. Overall - very impressive. Yes - #4 might need to be a shell-free zone to recover from this effort.

Hank
Myrtle

Post by Hank » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:51 am

Wow! I keep scrolling up and down and like........... Wow!
The rosette, fretboard and then the headstock flourish, very Art Nouveau
Nice work, love it
Without deviation progress is not possible.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:12 pm

I keep looking back at this one. The silky oak has an interesting pearlescent quality too. But I also wanted to complement the idea of highlighting the layering in the heel stack. Sometimes the joint lines show up when you don't want them to - so actually making a feature of them is a nice solution to that problem.

Fisherman
Blackwood

Post by Fisherman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:35 pm

Awesome work on this build... very artistic. Love the headstock and the colours all match great. I bet all that detail work took a long time! Looks like a lot of care and fun.. congrats

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:48 am

Thanks for the encouraging words, I was a little worried the aesthetic was too busy with busy grain and busy colours from the shell, so appreciate the feedback.

Yes, I did made my wife's engagement and wedding ring and had 3 or 4 grams of off cuts and filings floating around the house bugging me that I didn't have a use for it.

Here is a frc too for those who are also interested in that sort of thing
IMG_0112.PNG
Trent

Gassert
Gidgee

Post by Gassert » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:16 am

What a beauty! I love that rosette. Amazing work, thanks for sharing.
I think anything is possible with Trimtone so check it out.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:02 pm

Nice work Trent. Is that Englemann one of the Graham Hein tops you got off me?
Martin

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:47 am

kiwigeo wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:02 pm
I wish I built that quickly! No it is one from Andrew's student stash, but I have just started a neoclassical with a lutz top I got from you. So stiff the target thickness came out at 2.1mm
Trent

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:38 pm

lamanoditrento wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:47 am
kiwigeo wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:02 pm
I wish I built that quickly! No it is one from Andrew's student stash, but I have just started a neoclassical with a lutz top I got from you. So stiff the target thickness came out at 2.1mm
2.1mm would be about right for that Lutz.....it's beautiful stuff. Looking forward to seeing the finished instrument.
Martin

mooshalah
Myrtle

Post by mooshalah » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:57 pm

Wow Trent!

This is really lovely. So many things to look at and admire; and so many ideas to think about when I next make a pretty parlour guitar.

Just looking at the rosette sets my mind on a number of trains of thought, all of which are novel.

And the thought of making a feature of the stacking of the heel is also refreshing; I've always tried to minimize the idea of the stacking, trying to make it as inconspicuous as possible through careful matching. Now I suddenly see an opportunity - for a parlour guitar, if not a classical or flamenco instrument, where tradition keeps sucking me back into conservatism - to try a few new things with lines and strips appearing in places where I've never stuck them before.

Lots of ideas for ukuleles too.

Thanks!

Frank.