pattern makers vise at Carbatec at last!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

would you buy a pattern makers vise from an Aussie supplier if they carried it.

Yes I'm in Australia and I'd buy one
47%
Yes I'm in Australia and I'd buy more than one
11%
Im in Australia but it doesn't interest me.
5%
I already have one and they're great
37%

Total votes: 19

matthew
Blackwood

Re: pattern makers vise at Carbatec at last!

Post by matthew » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:51 am

Well how about that.

Thank Jeremy. Nice and blue!!

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:27 pm

About a month too late for me, I got the stewmac one, had it for about a week. Shit happens I suppose. Wayne

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:26 am

how can I resist?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:40 am

old_picker wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:26 am
how can I resist?
You can't :mrgreen:
Martin

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 pm

matthew wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:51 am
Well how about that.

Thank Jeremy. Nice and blue!!
:D 8)
56nortondomy wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:27 pm
About a month too late for me, I got the stewmac one, had it for about a week. Shit happens I suppose. Wayne
:oops: Sorry Wayne. :cry: I trust you're enjoying your purchase all the same.

Jeremy

mooshalah
Myrtle

Post by mooshalah » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:16 am

Hi all.

I had a careful look at the specs of the Stewmac vice, and at the photograph of the vice at Carbatec, and came to the following conclusions:

The Stewmac vice has a wheel, to which can be added (i.e. that comes with) a plastic handle that can be attached to the wheel, and (supposedly) allows for faster, easier turning of the acme thread, to open or close the vice. The Carbatec vice has only a cranked handle;

Stewmac says that they have added a bearing race to the thread, so that it moves smoothly and easily as one winds it in and out. I guess that this is a really good thing that Stewmac has done, or not that necessary - depending on how easily the Carbatec vice feels, and moves;

The metal jaws into which the plywood liners are attached, are held in position by two shafts that terminate in nuts. In the Stewmac version, these nuts are lined with nylon, and appear to sit on longer threads than the Carbatec model. The rationale for this is that the Stewmac nuts can be backed off just enough (and will then hold their position) to enable to jaws and their plywood liners to rotate freely through 360 degrees, and take up any (angled) position - e.g, the taper of a guitar neck - without the need to unbolt, re-position and re-tighten the bolts. A careful look at the photograph of the Carbatec vice has me wondering whether there is enough thread available to be able to ditch the nuts supplied, and replace them with new, nylon lined ones.

The Stewmac vice has urethane lining on the hardwood jaws.

Having said all this - and because I've wanted one of these for quite a while - I decided to buy one. I phoned Carbatec here in Melbourne (thinking I might get to talk with you, Jeremy!) but was diverted to the head office in Brisbane. (I really don't like this system that won't allow one to hold on a call for any longer than a minute, whether one wants to, or not!)

I ordered the vice yesterday, and discovered that, notwithstanding the weight of 13 kg, there would be no further charges for postage. Nice!

I also discovered that a shipment of 60 had come into Brisbane, but that it had not yet been distributed to the branches. I was told not to hold my breath, in terms of when it might be delivered. I said I wasn't really worried about this, within reason; I've been waiting for one of these for years.

Nothings's perfect. I imagine that I'll be content enough with this device, or else I'll see if I can modify it to perform slightly more slickly.

Regards,

Frank.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks for the feedback Frank! You are very much mostly correct.

StewMac used to sell this same vise, but "upgraded" it to their current version some time ago, hence it is a slightly more expensive vise with custom modifications. I tried to get some of these features added, but they are currently unavailable to others.

With respect to those differences, the hand-wheel really won't make for much of a difference. Two different styles yes, but they function much the same. The bearing is certainly a nice feature they have modified. Through the testing I've done of this vise, I don't see that as necessary, but a deluxe feature which would be cool. The jaws on the Carbatec vise are hardwood as you've noted, but also feature the polyurethane lining - the only difference there being the plywood vs hardwood. This is a recent change they have made and may be more related to importing timber to USA vs plywood, than any other user benefit. I'm not sure. The jaws are removable and replaceable however, so you can make your own custom jaws should you ever want to. Finally the mounting system of those jaws is different, as you say. I've not had the opportunity to play with the Stewmac unit, but I presume this feature will assist in the jaws not tending to lock up as you can dial in with the nylock system. The jaws on the Carbatec can be set with the bolt so they swivel, but if you swivel them a lot, they tend to tighten up and you need to back the bolt off a little. This seems an issue but has not really affected my use of it in practice. Actually, if you want to "upgrade" yours and change to their current system, you can do so with this - which is also a hint at their prior model:

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Ty ... Parts.html

They have an adjustable bolt/nut upgrade set, which shows you how this works and will convert the jaw mount for you if you want. Otherwise you could play with nylon washers to adjust the tension etc.

Martin, Allen and others on here have the vice supplied from I think it was Highland Woodworking or some such, which is more akin to the Carbatec rather than the Stewmac current one. They might have an opinion on this vise.

Ultimately, I'm just happy to be able to offer it locally (in Australia) and off the shelf if you can make it to a store. Carbatec are offering free post over a certain value too as you've noted. But freight on those units from overseas was the killer!! I'm not sure when you ordered, but the stores should certainly all have these available now.

I hope you enjoy! Oh and no, I'm based at the head office in Brisbane, not in Melbourne :wink:

Jeremy

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Yeah! Santa just got the last one in melb store! A bit surprised at the weight.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:43 pm

vandenboom wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:40 pm
Yeah! Santa just got the last one in melb store! A bit surprised at the weight.
You want a bit of mass in a decent vice..
Martin

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:16 pm

I got my stewmac vise on special for $173 aud, it was the freight that was the killer $204 aud but I bundled some fret wire and other stuff and it only added $4 to the freight cost so I had a bit of a win there. What I've found so far with the vise is it's taller than my previous vise and mounted in the same spot, it's making it a bit more uncomfortable to do some things, I can't lower it I've got a small shed and just can't rearrange it. Another thing that I don't like is if you have something in the jaws to one side when you tighten it the jaws tend to go on the angle no matter how tight the nylock nut is done up, I've had to use a spacer on the opposite side to what I'm holding so I can do it up. Apart from that I think it's a good addition to have in the shed, i'll just have to get used to it. I'm still happy with it Jeremy, not too fussed about paying a bit more. Wayne

mooshalah
Myrtle

Post by mooshalah » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:32 am

Hi Jeremy.

Thanks for the response. I'm sure I'll be happy with the unit, when it arrives.

Yeah, Wayne; I too had wondered at the extra height of this vice, when compared to my existing, more regular vice. My workbench is a little higher than normal, so this could become an issue. There does seem to be a way of reducing the height, by placing the "foot" below the bench, rather than on top of it (although this might hinder its ability to rotate through 360 degrees); but again, we'll see.

And Jeremy, I assumed that you were in Melbourne, because that's what is stated as your location, in your anzlf profile!

Frank.

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:23 pm

I actually did that Frank, I put the foot underneath first but wasn't happy with it so I put it where it's supposed to go, it's just something I have to live with, I'm sure most who buy it can place it a bit lower somewhere, I just can't, my shed is a fraction under 10 sq mt and it's full to the brim everywhere. Wayne

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 pm

The Carbatec jobbie arrived this morning and it works fine - $200 in freight on top of Stewmacs price for a few minor refinements - no way jose - Surprised how quick Carbatec shipped it out at around 4 days at no charge - excellent - their shipping has improved out of sight since I used it a few years ago.

Thanks Carbatec - They have plenty left at $189

ArmstrongLutherie
Kauri

Post by ArmstrongLutherie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:31 am

See my post under things for sale. I took things into my own hands and ordered a pallet load before carbatec listed them. Was wanting to supply Aussie luthiers with a fair priced alternative. Matching their price. PM me if you'd like one.
Andrew