Side bending creases

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

David Georgeson
Gidgee

Side bending creases

Post by David Georgeson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi, I'm using a side bending jig with solid forms for ukulele sides. I've used a combination of the sandwich stainless strips and heat blanket, with the blanket above or below the timber, but I'm getting creases in certain timbers at the waist. Wonder if any of you folks have an idea as to why this might be? I've combinations of ,more and less heat times, slower wind down of the waist press.

demonx
Blackwood

Re: Side bending creases

Post by demonx » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:35 pm

I had this happenin when I first started experimenting with timber I was flat sawing for practice/test bends.

The advice I was given was to use quarter sawn. I've never had a creased/buckled bend since.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:11 pm

How thick are the sides?
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:20 am

Because ukes have much tighter bends than you get in guitars except for cutaways where they will be similar, the sides need to be thinned to about 1.8mm or even a bit less. .And even then it's quite possible to get bending creases.

Virtually every pro uke builder that I know has changed from bending solely with a solid form and blanket to hand bending to close to the finished shape and setting the bends on the solid form. It actually goes very quickly and you have far more feel for what the timber is willing to do, without having to make them perfect. They heat blanket and solid form take care of that for you.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

David Georgeson
Gidgee

Post by David Georgeson » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks guys, I've been using 1/4 sawn timbers of 2 mm or slightly less, just a few different timbers have been creasing. I've taken Allen's advice and pre formed the sides on the bending iron, seems to have cured the problem. Thanks for your input.