Importing from CINNA MON in Indo

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

yakka
Myrtle

Importing from CINNA MON in Indo

Post by yakka » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:23 am

hello All
Just seeing if anyone has had experience regarding importing Indo Rosewood from Cinna Mon.
I am aware of CITES.

https://www.facebook.com/cinna.mon.923724

regards
yakka

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Importing from CINNA MON in Indo

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:42 pm

If this stuff is from Indonesia then I believe much of it is plantation grown?
yakka wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:23 am
hello All
Just seeing if anyone has had experience regarding importing Indo Rosewood from Cinna Mon.
I am aware of CITES.

https://www.facebook.com/cinna.mon.923724

regards
yakka
Martin

yakka
Myrtle

Post by yakka » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 pm

hello Martin,
Does tis alter the CITES rules, they were unable to provide documentation and never had for anything less than 20kgs

regards
chris

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:06 pm

I'm not an expert on CITES but if the Australian authorities are going to play by the book then you may have problems if there's no documentation regarding the provenance of the wood. That said a few members have imported IRW direct from Indian suppliers and haven't had too many problems. Things may have changed however.
yakka wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 pm
hello Martin,
Does tis alter the CITES rules, they were unable to provide documentation and never had for anything less than 20kgs

regards
chris
Martin

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:21 pm

In short to answer your question, no, I haven't personally.

Martin is right in that you may run into trouble, but also may not, as others have found. It is a risk as customs are within their right to check and demand the correct paperwork, but likely don't check every parcel still.

With so many valid alternative timbers though, why now? You may also have difficulties in future should you ever wish to sell any resulting instruments abroad. Your instrument may in turn require proof the timber was approved and you'll need supporting paperwork. Staying local if that is your intention is probably fine.

I have very small amounts of several Dalbergia species in my timber stash, which date back 20 to 50 years old depending on the piece. But can I prove that they are pre-ban now when it was previously not required? Receipts? Paperwork? No.

Likely I'll get around to using these at some point in the future for personal or perhaps local use only, simply because I have them already. I don't ever expect I'll try to sell them abroad now and I would not be trying to obtain any more these days as they simply don't have a future and worse, only add to the problem we currently face.

Just food for thought.

Jeremy.