how to's

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

simso
Blackwood

how to's

Post by simso » Fri May 25, 2018 1:59 pm

Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Re: how to's

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Once again some excellent tutes. Where can I get one of those minimum fret relief charts? For those who have an iphone, get a free app called "fret calc". Just dial in any scale length you want and it instantly has all the info re fret positions. Slightly off topic, but here are some others I constantly use: "Note Freak" (a table of equal temperament notes and the frequency in Hz that they vibrate at), "Radius Calc" and others including "Convert Units", and some engineering calculators including tap sizes, a tone generator for Chladni testing and a range of different tuners, the simplest one is just a tuning fork to quickly get to a ball park tuning then refine with a tuner or strobe tuner app. I use the Petersen strobotuner app and "Polytune" both of which are low cost. Most of the others from memory are freebies. They work fine.-Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Fri May 25, 2018 5:17 pm

The graph of lowest string capability without Buzz is my own calculation and experience and experimentation, each fret needs minimum of 3.7 thou sequentially string lift / clearance to the next fret, less than that I get buzz, above that is all free space provided no frets are in the way :D.

The program I enter it into is actually a cad Cnc drawing program (aspire) which I adapted to simply allow me to enter the figures.

Probabaly be a good app for someone to design up.

I have a Peterson’s strobe tuner for Intonation, personally think it’s one of the best pieces of equipment on the market

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:25 pm

Thanks, Steve. Once again, apart from being a very busy businessman, you have taken the time to be altruistic. The forum members owe you a debt of gratitude. (not to mention those who can afford to and do support the forum donation wise). Great info re the minimum clearance ---I'll try to come up with my own graph or whatever I can get to work my self. If I find anyone who designs apps I'll run it by them. Re the strobe tuner, the iphone one works, but of course not as flexible and good a mic as the "proper" one. I believe that there is a desktop one as well, but much more expensive than the app. I don't remember what the app cost but from memory it was around the $12 mark. Same price as the tuner I mentioned (Polytune), which is much more for a pedal or clip on tuner by the same manufacturer. The iphone app is dirt cheap by comparison and affordable for amateurs, hobbyists and people on a low budget in retirement or chronically ill who can only work when they can with a limited budget and limited energy, most of which goes into quality food and health products, medical trials etc not covered if they don't have private insurance. And if you have to save here and there in order to buy good tonewood....?? Ahh priorities. -Ross
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Fri May 25, 2018 8:50 pm

Yes a bench top Peterson is the one I use, whilst I embrace technology in machines, I am kind of behind the timesin phones, I look at my phone once every couple of days.

The how to’s have evolved from just I have no apprentices any more to teach and do not really want to, so here is a couple of how I do it’s, to we are at 94 walk through tutes on line.

I try to get time to do them, but work gets in the way, go figure...

Here is a hand written list of my open jobs on Thursday, I do this to get my head into the right space.

There is plenty of work for anybody that wishes to step out of building into repairing

Steve
Attachments
A5C4ED1E-4F59-4FE0-A449-E166B624A08B.jpeg
A5C4ED1E-4F59-4FE0-A449-E166B624A08B.jpeg (66.03 KiB) Viewed 4610 times
Steve
Master of nothing,