Spray booth

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

old_picker
Blackwood

Spray booth

Post by old_picker » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 am

Having just relocated the workshop I am now looking for a solution to capture over spray in the workspace and, as far as possible, fumes from neighbouring properties. Unlike my previous location, where I did not need to be too careful, the houses here are on smallish blocks. I am intending to locate the booth in the machinery area.

I'd be most interested to hear [see pix] how this is dealt with by others working in suburban locations. Had a quick look online and a few enquiries brought forth some very, very expensive industrial style installations way beyond the scope here. I would typically spray a a few necks, a couple of bodies and some minor repairs and touch ups in a month.

Thanks in advance

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Re: Spray booth

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:37 pm

When I built my spray room and installed an explosion proof fan for as nitro lacquer spraying of my acoustic guitars, the spray room included 3 fresh air inlet vent with dust filters that I made. An enclosed duct was constructed from the exhaust fan to an external vent with some fiber type filters spray booth filters that was directed away from my adjoining neighbor. However, fumes are noticeable when I spray. Fortunately, it dissipates in about 5 to 10 minutes after spraying a coat on the guitar body and neck. I have had no complaints from any neighbors yet. Its a bit like when an aerosol lacquer spray can is used out side for a small home project that is not continuing all day. This is generally acceptable. As a precaution I do try to pick my spray times during the day when my neighbors are out.

I did look into installing carbon filters at the outlet that are very effective in minimising fume issues, however, my exhaust fan (cost $1300) was not powerful enough to work with a carbon filter installed. I should have check this out before building the spray room and purchased a more powerful explosion proof exhaust fan.

Note: I did send plans of my spray room to an exhaust fan manufacturer who sized the fan unit to suit my room. Unfortunately, at that stage I did not specify that Carbon filters were to be installed.

I have provided some design drawing attachments, You tube link that show the construction of my guitar workshop that includes plans/photo slides of the spray room and my website.

Hope this information may be of some help to your spray room design and potential adjoining residents issues.

Regards
Wayne

https://youtu.be/fJG8bx5qLYQ

https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1
Attachments
Side view 2.jpg
Side view 1.jpg
Section view 2.jpg
Section view 1.jpg
Plan view.jpg

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:08 pm

Jeez Wayne....that's a flash looking workshop. Double glazed windows and sound proof Batts!!
Martin

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:14 pm

Yes Martin it is sound rated. I have designed and built a couple of sound recording studio in the past and with this experience I was able to use some of these principles to design my guitar workshop.

I have invested lots of dollars to build this guitar workshop and this was only possible with some extra spares money that became available when I retired. I did not want to have any noise issues from my machines with adjoining neighbours complaining. It also a great place to store timber in controlled conditions and is an enjoyable place to be when building guitars.

Regards
Wayne

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Thats not a fan
Attachments
IMG_1285.jpg
IMG_1285.jpg (42.91 KiB) Viewed 11914 times
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Steve, If I put that on my roof I would have to pack my bags and leave home. The neighbours would have me for breakfast!

It would be great to have your professional set up keeping everyone including the environment happy.

Regards
Wayne

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:44 pm

Dont get me wrong, I like your setup, my photo was not in any way to minimise anything, just thought I would show you a fan, ones fan is never big enough.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:24 pm

Ha!! that's nothing.......Ive just installed this baby in my new spray booth :mrgreen:
largest_arircraft_engine1.jpg
Martin

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:05 pm

Haha, the funny thing is, I use to rebuild them ( jet engines ) for a living.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:54 am

Wow Martin thats an amazing fan system. Do you need any sound rating in your workshop or just wear ear plugs.

However, on a more serious note I forgot to mention that all my workshop doors have industrial door seals. When the spray room and adjoining doors are closed during spraying the main workshop is virtually clear of fumes. Outside as previously mentioned it takes around 5 to 10 minutes for the fumes to dissipate in the air.

Wayne
Attachments
P4111159.jpg

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:49 pm

Thanks Wayne exactly what I was looking for. My version will be more low tech using 2nd hand bits etc. My stepson is building the machine shed and he is very handy with all things motor and metal. He is building the shed from used panels of 75mm steel sheet / foam sandwich as used in refrigeration plants. Has a factory near here filled with scrounged metal, motors ducts et al. very clever and resourceful young bloke to have on the job.

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Hey Wayne try a balloon in the sound hole way easier than masking it. Wayne

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Hey Wayne try a balloon in the sound hole way easier than masking it.
Thanks for the tip reminder. The photo was my first guitar spray a few years ago. I did see a video clip using the ballon method about one year ago.

Regards
Wayne
WJ Guitars

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:48 pm

I wouldn’t try using a balloon if you’re spraying 2k, it’ll most likely go POP! Even latex gloves melt off your hand if you’re using 2k. I wear nitrile gloves.