Lutz/Blackheart Sass Hybrid Nylon, venetian cutawy & arm bevel

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Lutz/Blackheart Sass Hybrid Nylon, venetian cutawy & arm bevel

Post by lamanoditrento » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:36 pm

I have finally finished No.4.

Lutz spruce (thanks Martin Kiwigeo), blackheart sassafras (thanks Bobthebuilder), mahogany neck, IRW fretboard, wenge bridge, flamed maple binding and arm bevel. It is full BOBO neck (using Strato's bolt-on Spanish heel), compound radius fretboard with EVO frets, MOP 12 fret inlay, compensated nut and a hard shellac French polish.
04 Front.jpg
04 Back.jpg
04 Rosette.jpg
04 Headstock Front.jpg
04 Headstock Back.jpg
04 Heel.jpg
04 Endgraft Armbevel.jpg
Attachments
04 18hole bridge.jpg
04 Bridge.jpg
Trent

Gazm
Blackwood

Re: Lutz/Blackheart Sass Hybrid Nylon, venetian cutawy & arm bevel

Post by Gazm » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:27 pm

AWESOME! The French polish looks as deep as the Pacific ocean, love the segmented heel & deco slotted head!!
Great work Trent.

Gaz

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:19 pm

Trent, I like the design and shape of the neck. The purfling lines add a nice class to the guitar and the flamed maple bindings and arm bevel looks elegant.

Wayne
https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:36 pm

Wow.....that's a magnificent guitar Trent, absolutely stunning.
Martin

Fisherman
Blackwood

Post by Fisherman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:29 pm

Fantastic looking guitar. I hope there will be more classicals like this in future that depart from the norm! I love all the design elements, beautiful work.

How does it sound? I have some lutz so am very interested to hear your thoughts....

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:16 am

Thanks all. Pretty happy to have it off my bench with 2 bridge failures for that one finally stayed on. As for the sound, to tell you the truth I am having a hard time telling any difference to Englemann. It is a little thinner at 2.1mm target thickness for what it is worth but how that translated into tone... Have to make a few more I guess :D
Trent

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:31 am

Lovely work Trent. Lots of nice individual touches.
Well done with the 18 hole bridge. It creates such a clean look and good function. When I tried it once I got a good functional outcome, but mine doesn't bear close inspection of the regularity of the hole placement. Did you develop any good tricks or jigs for this?
And how about the arm bevel method? I am gearing up to attempt my first soon, and have the Kent Everett DVD as a guide. Is yours a veneer surface, or a solid piece of maple? Any tips?

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:56 am

Trent great detailing. I imagine that scooping of the heel is to further improve access to the upper frets...?

I'm looking with envy at that armrest. I left my last classical with too sharp a corner and end up with a great crease in my forearm!
------------------
Dave

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:12 am

Mark McLean wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:31 am
Lovely work Trent. Lots of nice individual touches.
Well done with the 18 hole bridge. It creates such a clean look and good function. When I tried it once I got a good functional outcome, but mine doesn't bear close inspection of the regularity of the hole placement. Did you develop any good tricks or jigs for this?
And how about the arm bevel method? I am gearing up to attempt my first soon, and have the Kent Everett DVD as a guide. Is yours a veneer surface, or a solid piece of maple? Any tips?
I pretty much made an aluminium template as per Trevor method in his book. I'll take a pic and post it when I am back in the workshop. As for the arm bevel, I pretty much followed Kent's DVD with veneer over a substrate. The additional things I would recommend is instead of an additional black veneer he suggests, I recommend using a couple of strips the same veneer you are intending to use over top of it. Also, I don't think Ken mentions grain orientation of his substrate, but on the Paulownia I used the end grain wasn't the best surface to work with, crumbling under a rasp etc. Oh, ironing the veneer on work so well, you can hardly believe it.
Dave M wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:56 am
I imagine that scooping of the heel is to further improve access to the upper frets...?
I think the improvement is probably only psychological, but I really enjoyed carving it and will probably do it again with some more and crisper curves.
Trevor Gore wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:49 am
Nice!
I should have also thanked you above Trevor, this build is 95% per your book. Your book is pretty much the bible in the workshop!
Trent

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:03 am

18 hole bridge drilling jig
IMG_4560a.jpg
IMG_4560a.jpg (104.83 KiB) Viewed 21641 times
Trent

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:27 pm

OK, that looks straight forward enough. Do you drill into a solid blank and then route out the middle, or route before you drill?

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Drill using a depth stop, then rout the channel to expose the holes. That way you avoid any breakout from drilling the holes
Trent

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Right you are boss. Thanks.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Trent did you make any modifications to the bridge design after you failures? I notice the "valley" between the tie block and the saddle ramp doesn't extend all the way across the bridge top.
Martin

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:50 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:14 pm
Trent did you make any modifications to the bridge design after you failures? I notice the "valley" between the tie block and the saddle ramp doesn't extend all the way across the bridge top.
Yes the 2nd bridge really threw me and had me thinking hard about making sure the 3rd one stuck. The 1st one failed along the lamination between the IRW and the CF along the epoxy join. The second one the HHG didn't stick to the IRW (despite careful acetone cleaning to remove oil) and cracked along the string ramp slot. So I became a little conservative and made both the saddle slot and string ramp slot blind and glued with titebond. I also inlayed a new piece of spruce so the 3rd bridge had a pristine surface to glue to. 2 bridge removals being a bridge too far for the poor spruce underneath.
Trent

Francis
Myrtle

Post by Francis » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:23 pm

Superb build and lovely detailing :cl