Blackwood Spruce Classical

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Blackwood Spruce Classical

Post by Steve.Toscano » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Recently completed a Blackwood and spruce classical to go down to Matt Withers' school in Canberra.
Some pretty short time restraints on this one too, 2months from start to finish, to arrive in time for his end of year student concert last weekend.

Soundboard: Spruce
Back and Sides: Tasmanian Blackwood
Neck: Toona (aus cedar)
Fretboard: Indian Rosewood
Bridge: Brazilian Rosewood
Finish: Nitro satin
Rosette: Tasmanian Blackwood
Soundboard bracing: My 7 fan asymmetrical
Tuners: Schaller Grandtune

Hear a recording of this guitar played by the very talented Matt Withers: https://youtu.be/c7aSJE6tUcI

[youtube]https://youtu.be/c7aSJE6tUcI[/youtube]

Read about some of my recording issues with the new setup here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8238&p=88833#p88833

image650004.jpg
image650005.jpg
image650003.jpg
image650002.jpg

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Re: Blackwood Spruce Classical

Post by WJ Guitars » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:01 am

Very impressive result Steve in the time frame for this guitar build. Sounds sample recording quality is fine to appreciate this guitar.

I use to do sound engineering recording in the pass for around 25 years (now retired). There are so many options available with computers and microphones available in the recording studios and home studio with good engineering skills and a session player wonderful results can be achieved.

I have a small setup in my home loft room upstairs and have a range of microphones (Ribbon and Condensor) for stereo recordings using 'Pro Tools'. Sometimes I spend lots of time to achieve the best microphone locations use X-Y, L-M-S or Single microphone setups for recordings. My main limitation is the sound rating of the room not being up to the sound rating standards for recording studios that I have previously constructed in the pass (Sandwich walls and ceiling on floating isolated floors and appropriate room proportion dimensions etc). However, at home the acoustics are fine for recording. The birds singing outside don't alway fit with the recorded music. (There are some my You tube recordings on my website, refer to link. Please note: I'm not a session player).

Wayne
https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:38 am

Nice Steve. Great sound and I am looking at your heel profile with envy and thinking I need to make mine sleeker.

For all the time I spend in the workshop, I swear my building is getting slower.
Trent

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:43 pm

Nice work Steve! Your quality builds are enviable.