shed insulation

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nkforster
Blackwood

shed insulation

Post by nkforster » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:11 pm

Well lads, Mrs F and I have bought a nice little house with a nice big shed. Its an old colourbond shed in decent nick. I'd like to insulate the roof and walls prior to panelling them with ply - any advice? I'd much rather not take the roof off to do so, and I've also heard that condensation can be an issue with fibre batts. Any views?

I'm in SE QLD, so its pretty warm here all year 'round.

Allen
Blackwood

Re: shed insulation

Post by Allen » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:04 am

I had mine insulated with foil lined fiber batts. My mate is a roofer and told me that for up here in Cairns that was by far the best option. The roofing sheets are pulled off to install.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:25 am

Condensation will only be an issue with batts if you don't have at least a 25mm air gap between outside surface of batts and outer wall cladding.
Martin

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:11 am

I have built two sheds and a steel framed house and we used a foil system that consists of two layers of foil and a foam layer in between. I think the R rating is 3.0, but can't remember exactly. It is only about 10mm thick so is easy to install, and you get no glass fibres on you and your clothes. Great stuff. Stops condensation and insulates at the same time. I still have a couple of rolls left so will get back later with the details. The rolls are on our other property so can't do it now. This foil was installed under the sheets and behind the cladding, but we still used glass fibre insulation in the ceiling and wall cavity.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Gazm
Blackwood

Post by Gazm » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Similar situation Nigel, I erected my 2nd hand shed, thinking my location by the Brisbane bay side, would be cool enough with sea breezes to omit roof insulation, NOT the case!
I installed enviro friendly 2r Tontine thermal insulation 75mm thick between Top hats under existing roof sheeting & then covered all that up with aluminium reflective foil air cell insulation...just like air conditioning without the power bill!!!!!!
also lined the side walls with polystyrene off cuts 200mm x 50mm, lurks & perks of construction industry 8) , that really improved the comfort margin, then lined the walls with white cover sheets from the local panel supplier, bright & cheerie now :D

Gaz

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:03 pm

If South East Queensland is anything like North East Victoria, I would make sure that, during the renovation process, the building is both possum and rodent proof so that the walls are not used for housing these abominable creatures! Also, a bit of monitoring of the RH along with a game plan for humidity stabilisation...might save a packet in electricity fees. Come to think of it, electrical wiring (eg power outlets) at the pre insulation stage Cheers R
oss
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:03 pm

Nigel FYI, not sure whether this appropriate in your location. I insulated my guitar workshop (brick wall with colour bond roof sheeting as follows:

1. Foil skin

2. 30 mm thickness industrial foam sheeting (Very efficient insulator, can be purchased in various thickness, depending on the level of insulation required)

3. 50 mm thick batts

I also wanted to improve the sound rating being close to other residents. This involved including sandwich sheeting: 12 mm MDF board and 12 mm gyprock. This may not apply in your location.

Refer to section view attachment. On my website there is a youtube of my workshop construction from the more drop down link.

Wayne
https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1
Attachments
Section view 2.jpg

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:59 pm

I’m in Melbourne and I insulated my atmospheric controlled room ( a 3x3 m colourbond shed with pitch d roof) with CSR foilboard, comes in several thicknesses from 10mm up to 30mm I think, then I lin Ed over with 6mm msg, very effective.

Cheers

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:56 pm

Thanks lads. Getting roofers in to lift the sheets and put foil/wool down. And stick a pair of whirlybirds on at the same time.

I’d like to do the walls with batts and ply. How would you go about getting that 25mm gap between the batts and the colourbond?

Nigel