Luthier on Luthier - Michael Bashkin talks to Trevor Gore

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Luthier on Luthier - Michael Bashkin talks to Trevor Gore

Post by Trevor Gore » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:52 pm

When I was over in the USA in July presenting the Modal Tuning Course at Robbie O'Brien's, one of the participants was Michael Bashkin. Michael periodically contributes a podcast called Luthier on Luthier to the Fretboad Journal where he interviews other guitar makers and he was kind enough to invite me to participate. He recently posted the conversation we had, where we discussed a lot of guitar related topics, modal tuning and how I got into guitar making. The podcast is just over an hour long, so if you are inclined to listen, pour yourself a drink!

Here's the link: https://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcas ... evor-gore/

Dave M
Blackwood

Re: Luthier on Luthier - Michael Bashkin talks to Trevor Gore

Post by Dave M » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:03 am

That was very interesting. A somewhat devious route to high class guitar building!

Some of Michael Bashkins other podcasts are also worth seeking out.
------------------
Dave

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:55 am

Dave M wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:03 am
Some of Michael Bashkins other podcasts are also worth seeking out.
Definitely!

DaveO
Gidgee

Post by DaveO » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:43 pm

This is a terrific podcast. Far better, however, was the actual course. I was fortunate to attend this superb 3 day seminar in guitar acoustics, along with Michael Bashkin and about 15 grateful builders. In short, I cannot recommend this workshop more highly, for those interested in understanding how guitars actually produce sound. I can say without a shade of hyperbole or solicitousness that Trevor is one of the world’s experts in this topic.
It is my understanding that Trevor holds this workshop regularly in Australia, and will hold it next year in Toronto.
All I can say is
1) Register , by all means!
2) Fortune favors the prepared mind. Reading the books beforehand will yield substantial benefit. I understand the books are available from Trevor’s website, or thru Stew-Mac at a discount.

Cheers,
Dave Olson MS, MD
Pacific Rim Tonewoods
Washington, USA