Veneer softener

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kamusur
Blackwood

Veneer softener

Post by Kamusur » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 pm

Hi everyone

I was given a recipe today for a Veneer Softener. Obviously I have not had a chance to try this out yet but according to the source it is used in their veneer shop. 1ltr of water, 400mls of glycerin and 100mls of methylated spirits and they paint or spray it on to the surface.
So I marched straight into the chemist but they couldn't shed any light on what the brew may do or cause lol. AFAIK glycerin may be one of the active ingredients in the product sold as Veneer Softener.
Any thoughts or experience on the effect of this or any similar concoctions then please chime in.

Steve

the Mods may wish to move or edit this post

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Veneer softener

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:01 pm

As far as I know glycerin is often an ingredient in veneer softeners. I think Diggers make the stuff.
Kamusur wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 pm
Hi everyone

I was given a recipe today for a Veneer Softener. Obviously I have not had a chance to try this out yet but according to the source it is used in their veneer shop. 1ltr of water, 400mls of glycerin and 100mls of methylated spirits and they paint or spray it on to the surface.
So I marched straight into the chemist but they couldn't shed any light on what the brew may do or cause lol. AFAIK glycerin may be one of the active ingredients in the product sold as Veneer Softener.
Any thoughts or experience on the effect of this or any similar concoctions then please chime in.

Steve

the Mods may wish to move or edit this post
Martin

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Re: Veneer softener

Post by lamanoditrento » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:13 am

It is also what people vape with... softening their lungs I suppose
Trent