Elmer Guitar

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Saint
Wandoo

Elmer Guitar

Post by Saint » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:40 am

Wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding these guys https://elmerguitar.com. I know they're a Chinese company and that their prices are attractive. Acknowledging that you get what you pay for, I have had good experiences with the quality and response time from McJing and Yinfente and wonder whether these guys might be in that 'pretty good Chinese build quality' basket. I'm not a professional luthier so cost is always a factor.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Oliver

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Elmer Guitar

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:54 am

I generally don't deal with companies who only allow contact via email or a message lodged via their website. I prefer a phone number so I can physically talk to someone. The site is Chinese so add in possible language difficulties while resolving any disputes. My opinion only of course.
Martin

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:17 am

While i don't know of this company in particular.
I've had students rock up to my workshop with their own various Chinese jigs etc. When comparing the likes of the dremel base & circle/rosette cutter, the binding channel system, the fret slotting mitre box, and crowning files, we generally cannot determine any functional difference between the chinese unit and my stewmac unit.
In fact i happen to own both the stewmac rosette and dremel base, and the equivalent chinese one and i swear the only difference is the stewmac logo.

Keep in mind that most the stewmac branded jigs and tools are made in china, so some of these knock off units would be coming off the same factory line (prior to logos and branding being stamped).

In saying that i've learnt to stay far far away from chinese measuring and straight edge tools.
And the core woodworking tools (planes/chisels/saws etc.) with the exception of the odd few are no good and should be avoided.

Saint
Wandoo

Post by Saint » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Thanks Steve and Martin, I appreciate your advice. Thought I might test their responsiveness via their online form. They got back to me in a couple of hours which is better than some local providers. If I decide to make a purchase, and the quality is comparable to the SM offerings, I'll give ANZLF some feedback. They may well be the SM manufacturer!!
Cheers
Oliver

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:55 am

Oliver, I have made a few of purchases from Elmers over the past 7 ~ 8 months and I am quite pleased with what they sent, especially for what they charged. All but one of the purchases came from China, but the shipping time wasn't bad. They got it in the mail quickly, it was US Customs took the bulk of the time.

shuanglu
Gidgee

Post by shuanglu » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:37 am

Saint wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:40 am
Wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding these guys https://elmerguitar.com. I know they're a Chinese company and that their prices are attractive. Acknowledging that you get what you pay for, I have had good experiences with the quality and response time from McJing and Yinfente and wonder whether these guys might be in that 'pretty good Chinese build quality' basket. I'm not a professional luthier so cost is always a factor.
Oliver
Just as an FYI - I had a very bad experience with this company.

I bought a "Nut Saddle Sander" from them and don't think that's a good product. So I left my 1-star review on their website describing my experience. I checked the website a few times and made sure the review was published at that time. 2 days later, out of curiosity, I was checking their website again...you guess it: They deleted my review. No wonder if you go to their website, you will only see 4 or 5-star reviews for this specific product.

To be fair, the sander I bought is about 60% off the price of a "brand" name, like StewMac. And all those 4 or 5-star reviews seem legitimate. But since they decisively deleted my 1-star review, I am just not sure how many unhappy customers are out there.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:08 pm

I notice they have a 30 day return policy...did you attempt to return the item and get a refund?

Stewmac may be more expensive than most other suppliers but when things go pear shaped with a purchase I don't know of any other company (apart from LMI) who bend over backwards to resolve the issue.
shuanglu wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:37 am
Saint wrote:
Oliver

I bought a "Nut Saddle Sander" from them and don't think that's a good product. So I left my 1-star review on their website describing my experience. I checked the website a few times and made sure the review was published at that time. 2 days later, out of curiosity, I was checking their website again...you guess it: They deleted my review. No wonder if you go to their website, you will only see 4 or 5-star reviews for this specific product.

To be fair, the sander I bought is about 60% off the price of a "brand" name, like StewMac. And all those 4 or 5-star reviews seem legitimate. But since they decisively deleted my 1-star review, I am just not sure how many unhappy customers are out there.
Martin

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:45 am

I see the prices but it does bother me that they are knockoffs of stewmac products as opposed to functional equivalent products. Maybe they are OK quality, China has very good manufacturing but if not held to a testable specification the quality of the materials and fit and finish goes down.

shuanglu
Gidgee

Post by shuanglu » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:56 am

kiwigeo wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:08 pm
I notice they have a 30 day return policy...did you attempt to return the item and get a refund?

Stewmac may be more expensive than most other suppliers but when things go pear shaped with a purchase I don't know of any other company (apart from LMI) who bend over backwards to resolve the issue.
shuanglu wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:37 am
Saint wrote:
Oliver

So I didn't attempt to return it, but they refunded me the purchase, after I reached out to the company who manages their customer reviews, complaining about them deleting my review. Then elmerguitar emailed me (see below) and I had to laugh at the "misleading consumers" part...

We would like to explain why we delete your review, Our review policy is if that review is true and fact, we would publish it, if that is a use error with negative review, we would remove it, because that would misleading consumers, that is why we deleted your reviews. This is the first review we deleted, all reviews on our website are real, if we want to cheat on reviews, we just use a fake review application, that would be easier, We want our customers to understand more details about our product, that's why we have review function. We have fully refunded you, please check your account. We want every our customer to be happy, not hate us.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:21 am

shuanglu wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:56 am

So I didn't attempt to return it, but they refunded me the purchase, after I reached out to the company who manages their customer reviews, complaining about them deleting my review. Then elmerguitar emailed me (see below) and I had to laugh at the "misleading consumers" part...

We would like to explain why we delete your review, Our review policy is if that review is true and fact, we would publish it, if that is a use error with negative review, we would remove it, because that would misleading consumers, that is why we deleted your reviews. This is the first review we deleted, all reviews on our website are real, if we want to cheat on reviews, we just use a fake review application, that would be easier, We want our customers to understand more details about our product, that's why we have review function. We have fully refunded you, please check your account. We want every our customer to be happy, not hate us.
Ok well if you got a refund I guess that's a positive but their response regarding the deletion of your reviews is a big negative......surely allowing only positive reviews is a form of "misleading customers"?
Martin

Cutty
Wandoo

Post by Cutty » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:06 pm

I've had a similar experience recently with Flea-Bay. One seller sent me two "extra strong" magnets and two lengths of rope instead of a CNC machine. After to and fro with the seller, had to raise a dispute with eBay for a refund. My subsequent negative review on the seller was deleted. When I asked why, eBay told me the seller disputed my version of events and that what actually happened was the item originally sent had been stolen after it was delivered. (Very clever thief to make that swap on my doorstep!).

I got to keep the magnets, but I have welding magnets that are stronger than those so they are next to useless anyway.